1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Levi's 501 big E Authentication please

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by laurahen, Feb 19, 2011.

1. laurahen

laurahen Registered Guest

Levi\'s 501 big E Authentication please

I found these at a thrift store the other day and was wondering if someone could help me to tell if these are authentic? The photos speak for theirselves, but I didn't find a care tag of any sort, or stamping on inside of pockets. From what I have researched, if they are real they would date between 1966-71. They are in beautiful shape, except for a musty smell, which would I assume be expected. Thanks!!!!! Laura

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. laurahen

3. laurahen

I am going to go take a few more photos and closer ups. I'll post them asap.

4. laurahen, your last two links are the same.

I'm not a Levi's expert, but I don't think they're authentic. They look too modern in style and too new in age.

Nicole

5. laurahen

Here's a few more pics that I just took. Hope they help!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. cotmyey

cotmyey VFG Member

I think they are authentic, but not very vintage(edited to add= I just re-read you post, yes, possibly 69-71). Do you have an image of the inside tags(front & back)?

7. laurahen

Marty, thanks for your help, I have posted new photos.

And Cotmyey there are no tags whatsoever inside nor is there anything printed on the insides of pockets, that is part of the problem. I see an area inside of the hip area where is looks like possibly the tag may have been carefully cut out....

And yes, they may not be really old, but 68-70 big E's if they are authentic can be worth quite a bit.

Thanks!!!

8. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

Didn't I read somewhere that Big E Levis would never have. 3 digit style #? I see 501 on tag which makes me think counterfeit. I just did lots of levis research bc of a levis denim suit. I am just sure I read that the 501 woulodnt be on Big E.

There is tons of good info on this topic out there. Good luck and I hope for the best for you.

9. laurahen

"Didn't I read somewhere that Big E Levis would never have. 3 digit style #? "

Here is a link to the 501 tag history. Very interesting.

http://www.vintagemotorcyclejackets.com/501xx-tags.htm

I think if you read that, it was incorrect, they definetly would if they were from this time period, such as the ones from 68-70, this is shown at the above link.

I am not saying that they are or are not authentic, but someone would have had to go to a lot of trouble to copy these if they did, I am still puzzled, I have gotten so many different opinions...

I emailed pictures to Lyn Downey @ Levi's and still haven't heard anything, but I will update you all as soon as I do, good or bad news....:wacko:

10. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

There goes my failing memory. I went back and reread my notes...the 501 reference was to them being one of the most counterfeited.

Good luck and keep us posted. Will be interesting to see what kind of answer you get from levis. Hoping for best for you.

11. laurahen

I think I will need to post a couple of more photos of the close up of the inside of the fly. I have two older (prob. 80's 501's, ) and there is no gold stitching on the buttonholes at all. I am puzzled by this. Thanks for all of your research, Marty, I appreciate it.

12. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

I don't know enough about Levis to comment on whether or not yours are genuine, laurahen, but I'd like to point out that we here can only offer educated opinions--we can't "authenticate" anything, especially not by just seeing photos. An appraiser or other credentialed expert would be needed in order to do a true authentication.... The VFG does have among its members such experts, but you would have to physically send the item to be checked out, and a fee would be associated with that service.

So, opinions are what we can give here on this forum, not authentications. It seems as if what you are really asking for are opinions as to whether these are "authentic," but your post title asked for "authentication." The terminology does make a difference!

13. laurahen

Hi, Anne, thanks! I totally understand. I am not asking for authentication, only opinions. I will wait to hear back from Levi's for that. It is really interesting, though all of the differing thoughts here. I find it all fascinating.

14. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Hi,

Edited by me...this is not my forte!

B

15. Very interesting - jeans are probably the item of clothing that I know the least about but I have been collecting for thirty years and I've studied thousands of garments in that time, taking them apart and reconstructing and restoring them. I'm impressed that pioneerurban (welcome, by the way!) is so confident when it's so common to copy this style and copying a pair of jeans is not hard!

There are three reasons I believe these jeans are fake:

1 -as Marty pointed out, the quality is not up to Levi's standard. These are workwear, especially with the older versions and built tough to last. The overlocking/serging stitch would soon come undone once these were worn and washed, and the button holes are either not finished properly or worn away with wearing (which doesn't fit with the rest of the excellent condition).

2 - the style is not typical of the late '60s, in fact they look more like an early '90s style to me.

3 - they just don't look aged. They look about 10-20 years old, which puts them right at the time that many 501 copies were made.

However, I would be very reluctant to say definitely one way or another without handling them, as so many issues can easily be determined when you're touching and seeing a garment up close.

Nicole

16. Shygarden

Shygarden Alumni

When you turn the top of the back pockets down are there 2 rows of single stitching or are they chain stitched?

17. laurahen

there are two rows of single stitching. If you look at the photos that I posted, I believe it is the 5th one that I took a pic of the inside of the back pocket. Thanks!

18. Shygarden

Shygarden Alumni

For what it's worth, I think they are authentic. :) I researched a very similar pair several years ago that were made just before the big E was being replaced with the small e tag. Please let us know when you hear from Lyn Downey.

19. laurahen

Hi, Diane. For what it's worth...a lot. Thanks for replying. I am not just here to find the answer that I would prefer to hear, only the truth. I hope you are right, and I do geniunely believe that you are, but I am no expert and that is why I asked for opinions. A member by the name of "pioneer urban" posted some interesting information here last night, but his response has "disappeared". Not sure why.

Anyhow, I also got a response from a girl at the boards at Ebay (her name is Rose), and she was kind enough to send me a link from a pair that sold in December, these are not exactly like mine, but I think that's part of the problem here, there were soooo many different ones made. Nonetheless, interesting. Here's the link:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...Lq4SRv0Fz2%2FRHbs%3D&viewitem=&category=52401

and also to the topic on Ebay: http://forums.ebay.com/db2/topic/Clothing-Shoes-Accessories/Levis-501-Big/520263264&#msg524705134

There are also many interesting posts there, and from "pioneer urban" also...

Thanks for your time, and out of curiosity, do you remember what those sold for, or did you not sell them?

I do not even know if I will sell these, but I need to know what I have here.

20. Shygarden

Shygarden Alumni

I did sell mine on ebay probably 8 or more years ago. They were from 1970, but had a zipper and not the 501 button fly (which are much more sought-after). Mine sold for around $300 which I was happy with. I knew they wouldn't do nearly as well as the 501s from the same time period.

Thanks for posting the links. I really do think these are authentic.