1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Levis Big E Lot 558 Jacket

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by RustySpurVintage, Jan 25, 2013.

1. RustySpurVintage

RustySpurVintage Registered Guest

Hi! Had to share this find. Levis Big E Lot# 558 Jacket. It has a stain on the right shoulder (looks like ketchup). I tried washing it with no luck. How much does this hurt the value?

Attached Files:

2. RustySpurVintage

Also, does anyone know how I can date this? I know Big Es are supposed to be pre-1970s. But I've found some info online saying it is early 60s and some saying 50s. The 557xx seems to be a lot more plentiful online. Would that make my 558 post 557xx? Any ideas?

3. Levi's aren't my area of expertise, but there are some great expert websites out there if you try google.

The VFG label resource has a pic of an early '70s big E label so it may be that they were available more recently. Keep in mind that there is a lot of inaccurate information online, so you need to make your own mind up about how reliable the site is.

Personally, I would have another go at that stain - denim is a very robust fabric so the worst you are likely to do is fade the dye a bit, and that would be better than a stain. They generally reduce the value of vintage clothing significantly.

4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

5. RustySpurVintage

Thanks! I've seen the orange tab jeans before, but passed believing them to be newer. I know this jacket is a Type 3 Big E authentic. However, there are a lot of these jackets out there and some are worth more than others. Lot #557XX and 70505 are plentiful. However, Lot 558 is very hard to find. One recently sold on eBay for $200. It is in great condition. Lots of the indigo dye left. Very little wear. No fraying. Minimal fading. However, there is a stain on the shoulder. I tried working it out with alcohol and white vinegar with no luck (and unfortunately I faded the area a bit which ironically makes the stain more noticeable). So it might be blood. Ugh. So I have it soaking today with brushed in meat tenderizer. Anyone have any ideas how to get this out if the meat tenderizer doesn't work?

6. RustySpurVintage

Okay. Meat tenderizer does not appear to be working. Any ideas?

7. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Carbona makes a variety of spot removers, and they have one just for removing blood stains. OxyClean might lift some also.

RustySpurVintage likes this.
  8. Meat tenderiser? Haven't heard that one before.

I'd soak in oxyclean - mix a paste and apply a little to the stain and soak for an hour.

Good luck!

RustySpurVintage likes this.
  9. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I use biological (enzyme) stain removers for blood, rather than oxy- ones - and for ketchup. I'm in the UK so can't recommend brands, but there are bound to be some wherever you are.

10. RustySpurVintage

OxyClean got a little bit of it out. I'm going to give it a rest until the Carona Blood stain remover I ordered arrives. Fingers crossed.

11. RustySpurVintage

Ok. After devoting way too many hours to this, I have figured out what works. But first, what didn't work:
    1) close to 72 hours total of soaking in Oxyclean
    2) Oxyclean paste soak overnight
    3) Meat tenderizer paste soak and rinse repeatedly for 24 hours
    4) Isopropyl Alcohol
    5) White vinegar

What did work: regular strength hydrogen peroxide. I just applied a little at a time with a Q-tip. Repeated for about 48 hours. Stain is almost completely gone and there is minimal fading (as a result of the hydrogen peroxide).

I faded it a bit with all my other work. Mostly I faded it because I took a cloth and scrubbed hard immediately without realizing that the indigo dye on these old coats comes right off. Once again, still learning.

I'll post before and after photos when I'm done.