1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Liberty of London Dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by jeangenie, May 27, 2017.

1. jeangenie

jeangenie Registered Guest

I have aquired a vintage Liberty of London (Hildebrand) dress, but I am wondering how to date it. From my research I'm going to guess 1960's, but it is hard to tell. The main reason I don't think it is any older is because it has a plastic zipper. Is there a website with different style of dresses and their names and dates to use to refference? image1.JPG image2.JPG

2. Hi jeangenie and welcome to the forums. You can edit the images in your post and turn them the right way up, which will make it easier to see them - just select the "edit" button and then "rotate".

Styles of dresses go in and out of fashion so the style itself isn't usually enough to be able to date it - so it's best to consider the fabric composition, sewing techniques, labels, detailing and openings (zippers, buttons) to get the whole picture.

For example, the skirt in your dress shows '30s influence but the labels look more '60s-70s in style and detail. The Liberty label is also similar to some in the VFG label resource from the '60s and '70s. But it's quite a classic, conservative dress style for these times. None the less, I think your dress is probably late '60s to early '70s.

Your dress is not technically a Liberty dress, it's a Hildebrand dress made out of Liberty fabric.

jeangenie likes this.
  3. jeangenie

jeangenie Registered Guest

Thank you so much for your help Nicole, much appreciated! :)
    Kind Regards,
    Jean