1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lincoln Bennett top hat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Most Wanted - Looking for something?' started by Alistair Mumford, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Alistair Mumford

Alistair Mumford Registered Guest

Hi everyone. I am looking for help trying to date this top hat we have found while cleaning out my father's house. It is black and made by 'lincoln bennett & co' from London. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

20170326_200423.jpg 20170326_200148.jpg 20170326_200359.jpg 20170326_200331.jpg 20170326_200423.jpg

HollyD likes this.
  2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

How wonderful that you have your father's top hat. Judging only by your photos, I might date the hat to around the 1930s to 1940s. Hard for me to say, so this is really just an educate guess on my part. The interior construction is 20th century, the sides and crown are made of silk plush, the brim looks to be a silk faille or other silk material, with silk petersham/grosgrain ribbon for the brim's edge and the hat band.

It looks to be in very good condition. Do you know what size it is? Larger sizes of this style top hat, in good condition, are quite sought after.

3. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I have no knowledge on top hats, but since it says "By Appointment to H.M. the King" it must be from before Elizabeth II became queen.

4. Alistair Mumford

Thank you Midge that is a very valid point. It would suggest pre-1952. Thank you again

5. Alistair Mumford

Thank you very much for your input. Is there a specific way too measure it up? My father used to work in a school in Germany and found it in a cupboard circa 1999. It is not a sentimental piece and we would likely be looking to sell it

6. Rue_de_la_Paix

Hi,

To measure, take a cloth measuring tape and place it along the very bottom edge of the inner leather sweatband (where it meets the brim). Do it twice to be sure, and measure as close to the 1/8" as you can. That will give you the hat's head size. You will also want to convert that measurement to man's hat size using a hat size chart that you can find online (although not all conversion charts are the same, unfortunately). Many men will also want to know the width and length of the inner oval, so measure that front-to-back, and then across the mid section.

It is a really nice one!

7. Alistair Mumford

I
    I have measured it to be a 7 5/8 size. Would there be a specific website or forum you know of that could help us work out a value for the hat? Thank you again for your advice.

8. Rue_de_la_Paix

Hi,

Lucky you, that is a size extra large hat. These are quite hard to find. While we do not give $$ values here on the VFG Forums, I can share that the size of your hat increases the value a great deal.

What I might suggest is that you go on Ebay and search under "sold" items for hats that are similar. Keep in mind the condition is an important factor as well and yours looks to be in great shape from what I can see. The time of year can effect the prices on Ebay, with higher prices being reflected during the Fall/Winter holiday season.

You might also try to get some advice on The Fedora Lounge. However I do not know if they would give dollar value there, as I have never asked.

Good luck!