1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lock & Co hat - era?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Carnivàle, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Carnivàle

Carnivàle Registered Guest

Hi

I'm trying to establish the era this Lock & Co hat was made and not finding much luck on the internet. Well I've found out a lot of fascinating history of this long established, and still going, family owned company which was fun. But nothing to establish the date of this hat. Any ideas please?

The lining is stitched rather than glued, size stated is 7 1/4 (British).

Many thanks

Attached Files:

2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

What does it show on the hat band, and the three symbols on the side of the lining...? I'm wondering about Royal Warrants, they got their first one in 1956, and the second in 1993.

Carnivàle likes this.
  3. I believe the three symbols you mention are the initials of the hat's owner.

Carnivale, try emailing your inquiry/photos to Lock & Co.

I was interested to see that they designed the "fitments" for the coronation crown of the Queen in 1953!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    Carnivàle and Retro Ruth like this.
  4. Retro Ruth

Ah that makes sense. I'd still like to see the symbol on the hat band. If there's no royal warrant shown anywhere, it does imply it's earlier than 1956.

Agree you could try contacting the company.

Carnivàle likes this.
  5. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

While I am not well versed in comparing Lock hats made over the past century, I get a general sense that this handsome Homberg hat of yours dates to post 1950s. Possibly the 1960s era. Just the general construction and look of the interior parts.

Usually the owner's initial are either stamped in gold gilt on the leather sweatband or perforated into the band. I do not usually see them stamped in dye on the lining. So I would be curious to see what those symbols are.

It is very nice hat.

Carnivàle likes this.
  6. They are applied shield-shaped thingies. Here is an interior pic of another Lock & Co hat:

lockhat1.jpg

Carnivàle likes this.
  7. Carnivàle

Hello sorry for the late answer and thank you all so much for your replies! Donna is spot on, I believed the shield shaped parts were the owners initials which is why I didn't bother photographing them for you, sorry for that! I'll get a photo for you in a couple of hours when I have the hat to hand. And yes I should have thought about just emailing the company! I will do that and report back. Many thanks everyone.

8. Carnivàle

Also on a side note - wow about the involvement with the crown!

9. Carnivàle

Right here we go, the owner's initials.

Attached Files:

10. Retro Ruth

Can I also see the stamp on the inner band?

Carnivàle likes this.
  11. Rue_de_la_Paix

Seeing that the initials are actually custom woven (or a sewn in applique) into the lining before it is inserted in the hat, is a nice touch and more expected of a firm such as Lock. I originally thought it was some sort of ink stamp which seemed so odd to me.

Carnivàle likes this.

12. [​IMG]

13. Rue_de_la_Paix

How cool to see one of The Queen's hat blocks!

Editing this to ask...is this indeed a photo of one of the blocks used to make one of the Queen's hats? It usually would say HRM The Queen, and this one is missing the "Royal" part. But that writing is an in-house thing, not meant to be seen. Is this a block from Lock?

Do you have a photo of the whole block, as that appears to be only the bottom? I would love to see it.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  14. Generally, in the US, the brown hat bands were from the 50s. Into the med 60s they changed to black.
    An excellent quality hat

Carnivàle likes this.
  15. Maybe the "in house" just neglected to use HRM on the block, but instead, just HM as they may have just written it as they would address her as "Her Majesty"! So interesting to see this photo of this block. Couldn't help but wondr what size hat she wears!

16. Retro Ruth

I've always seen HM, and never seen HRM. Pretty sure HM, Her Majesty, is correct.

See it all the time on my tax bills from HMRC, Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs, :(

17. Retro Ruth

There is HRH for His/Her Royal Highness, used for other royals, but it's always HM for the monarch.

18. Carnivàle

Here you go Ruth, sorry for the delay. I've lightened it so you can see it better. It's such a dark day here in Edinburgh!

Attached Files:

19. Retro Ruth

Thanks carnivale. I was wondering if it would show any royal warrant info that would help with dating, but it's very similar to the lining mark. We can't really draw any conclusions from their absence though

Carnivàle likes this.
  20. Carnivàle

No worries, I've messaged Lock & Co in the hope they'll be up for getting some photos and letting us know. 50s or 60s makes some sense given the age of the family member I bought it from, but I'd like to nail it down a little further if possible!

Many thanks to all for your help.

Retro Ruth likes this.