1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a dress like the one in this picture

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Most Wanted - Looking for something?' started by littlebobina, May 22, 2013.

1. littlebobina

littlebobina Registered Guest

My grandmother passed away at the beginning of the year. As we were getting things together for her service, my uncle brought in this picture of her that I'd never seen before. I'm on the hunt for this dress (or one very similar). I don't know anything about the original dress; it may have been handmade; and she had told me once that all of her dresses were ruined when their basement flooded around 1960. I do know the picture is from between 1950 to 1952. I know that it's hand-tinted, so they may have taken liberty with the colors, but this is what I have.[​IMG]

2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

What a beautiful grandmother, beautiful dress, and a beautiful reason for wanting it.

Are you looking to wear this dress? If so we will need an idea of your measurements.

Good luck with the hunt. I hope someone can help out.

3. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

Such a gorgeous dress, and such a wonderful photographic memory of your grandmother to have as well. I hope someone at the guild may have something for you.

4. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

To me it looks like lace over satin, rather than a printed pattern. If you look at the folds in the skirt, there seems to be a net layer that you can see through.

5. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

I agree with Ruth. Such a beautiful lady and story. So sweet you want to recreate this in her honor.
    I do hope you find the fabric or dress.

6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

What a lovely photograph! I agree it looks like lace over satin.

7. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

Such a lovely photo, and what a lovely way to commemorate your grandmother. I'm sure you'll hear from more people shortly, and that someone with just the right dress will come along.

8. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Linda we have our very own Fabric Resource here.

Leonardo Da Vintage likes this.
  9. littlebobina

Thanks to all of you for your help and comments! I really appreciate all the extra eyes watching for a dress like this. I've also considered having it reproduced, but will have to save up for that first!

10. What a beautiful idea, and a beautiful photo of your grandmother!

I have this dress, which is not yet listed, so please excuse the unprofessional photos.

Overview.jpg SkirtPulled.jpg Bodice.jpg Underskirt.jpg

The dress is comprised of two layers, as is your grandmother's. It is a purple roses and green foliage on white print (with horizontal bands of pattern on the skirt, similar to your grandmother's dress). The overlayer is a sheer lavender chiffon. The short sleeves and jewel neck could conceivably be reworked to more closely resemble your grandmother's dress, although it's not too terribly far off to begin with.

Dress measures about 36" around bust, 27" around waist, free hips.

Pinkcoke likes this.
  11. littlebobina

That dress is lovely, but I think I definitely want to find one that is pink and black with the horizontal stripes on the entire dress.

12. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

I was just thinking on your quest for a replica dress.
    Do you have a dressmaker near you who could recreate it? as I think that way you can get a very exact copy of it.
    If you could find the right fine black lace ( vintage or modern) to overlay over the pink/lilac colours it could work out very well in my opinion. The style is not hard to make, it would come down to the right choice of fabrics.:)

13. Alan brad

Alan brad Registered Guest

wow all the dress collections are amazing!

14. marry007

marry007 Registered Guest

I don't know about the dress but the photo is really awesome. I like it :)

15. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

Sorry Liza. See you have already shown your beautiful dress.

16. Keena2013

Keena2013 Registered Guest

sorry i'm not help but this is a very beautiful dress!

17. Katrijn

Katrijn Registered Guest

I love this dress and I too think that you need find material and go to tailor but it is worth it. Your grandma looks in this dress amazing and have amazing smile too. Some time ago I found interesting fabric on ebay, but it wasn't satin but something else.

18. What a delightful photo of your Grandmother....such a treasure, indeed! Hope you are able to find one similar, but I, too, think your best bet is to have it recreated! But, who knows.....with so many on the trail, someone may locate a dress for you! Good luck in your search!