1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for date 20's? and help with possibly cleaning

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Melonie, Nov 21, 2021.

1. Melonie

Melonie Registered Guest

I have been sitting on this dress for a bit. I am guessing 20's? But not sure. It has snap closure on side. Suggestions on cleaning or should i just leave it alone? I dont see any shattering but i dont want to either lol.

Attached Files:

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I definitely see 1920s. Looks like a lovely silk chiffon with silk ribbon work. I would sell it as is. The ribbon work may not turn out well if washed.
    Let's see what others think about washing this.

3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

If the ribbon decorations are silk then there isn't much you can do because even if they look good now, dry cleaning or washing them will accelerate any degradation and the silk will split, plus is will never look the same, it will lose lustre and depth - they will be flat and wrinkly. Chiffon is also not a fan of being washed as it likes to shrink a bit and ironing is really the only way to get its shape back, steaming never works the same. My recommendation is don't touch it...

4. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I agree with Jonathan! It's lovely, and I'd leave it alone. Perhaps a light steaming from the wrong side for the wrinkles?

5. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Registered Guest

Totally agree with others, If silk, do not touch, and also do not hang it. Keep it in a acid free box. If it's 100 years old the degradation already started, it's just not visible to the eyes. If you wash it/ clean it it could fall apart.

Tip from my dry cleaners (she is a certified artisan dry cleaner since the 1980s), do not wash silk in water, it gets wrinkly from it.

6. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

Katarzyna I am jealous of your dry cleaner!

Hattysattic likes this.