1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for dresses in this style

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Most Wanted - Looking for something?' started by panda878, Mar 4, 2014.

1. panda878

panda878 Registered Guest

Hi, I am really hoping someone can help. I am looking for a specific dress, not just websites that *might* sell them. I have looked and looked! I came across this dress, but unfortunately in is discontinued so my chances of finding it are quite slim.

bettie page violet.jpg

I am looking at a few options:

1. A dress very similar in style (includes the skirt/top look AND most important the little ruffle at the bottom)
    2. A pattern of something very similar that I could try to make OR if too difficult get someone else to make
    3. The actual dress if anyone knows where I could find it.

Also, to assist me in the searching - would I call this a pencil dress or wiggle dress? And is there a term for the pleat/ruffle?

Thanks in advance!

2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

That's a very cute dress. Our members here only deal in genuine vintage, rather than reproduction, but you never know someone may have something similar. We also have many people who sell vintage patterns.

You could call it a wiggle or a pencil dress. You could look for 'ruched bodice' and 'off the shoulder' for the top.Also 'sweetheart' neckline.

As for that ruffle at the bottom, technically I think that's a godet. Though often godet skirts are not this shape, so I'm not sure it'll help you as a search term for dresses, though it it might for patterns. A godet skirt usually has godets all around, making a flowy wider skirt, rather than a 'wiggle'. 'Front split godet' would be correct, but you might also try 'inverted pleat', 'front split' and 'side split'.

3. Retro Ruth

I just did a google image search for 'front split godet', and it does bring up a few similar skirt styles, so maybe that will be a useful term.

4. panda878

panda878 Registered Guest

Thank you so much Ruth.
    I am sorry for the misunderstanding about the forum - I got excited finding an actual forum to ask questions because I have been trying for a while.
    Nevertheless, your descriptions and technical terms are so helpful, so I really appreciate that!
    Thanks again :)

5. Retro Ruth

You are welcome, and you may find someone here, who has a vintage sewing pattern for you.

6. Cute dress - do you know the original label? I would set up searches on ebay etc for the label with some key words and your size and I think you'll probably find something. Modern repro dresses (unless made by small, independent labels) are generally mass produced in great quantities.

Good luck!