1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for help dating a hat with a union label

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by UAVLauren, Jun 19, 2014.

1. UAVLauren

UAVLauren Registered Guest

It seems I'm always on here with dating questions!
    I've got a woven hat that has a very interesting union label. The label is from the "United Hatters. Cap and Millinery Workers Int. Union". I've done some research and have found this:
    "The United Hatters, Cap and Millinery Workers International Union (UHCMW) was formed in 1934 by the merger of the United Hatters of North America and the Cloth Hat, Cap and Millinery Workers International Union, settling deep rifts between the competing unions. For five decades, the UHCMW organized the declining hat and millinery trade in the United States until it merged into the Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers Union (ACTWU) in 1983, which merged in 1995 into the International Ladies Garment Workers Union to form UNITE (Union of Needletrades, Industrial and Textile Employees)."
    Unfortunately, this is a very broad spectrum and was wondering if you all had any insight on the era of this hat?
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I think it's from the 1980s, but I can't tell if that is the original hatband. Hats made a comeback in the 1980s due largely to Princess Diana, so that would make sense.

3. UAVLauren

UAVLauren Registered Guest

Yeah, I thought 80s as well..just wanted to see what everyone else thought. Thanks!

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I also get an 80s feel for it as well as that sort of "African print" of the band was popular then. Although, it is difficult to be certain that is original.

If that's you wearing it, you should keep it, looks great on you!