1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for Info on a Brenner Bros. Label

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Jennifer Kietzman, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Jennifer Kietzman

Jennifer Kietzman Registered Guest

Hi all,

Is anyone familiar with the Brenner Bros. label? I've Googled for info but only come up with a couple hits from old newspapers. I believe the coat dates from the 1950s, based on style and the Forstmann label but would love to hear thoughts on the Brenner Bros. label.

Thank you!

Brenner Bros. Label.jpg Coat Back.jpg Coat Front.jpg Coat Shoulders.jpg Forstmann Label.jpg

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Looks like a mid 50s coat to me.

3. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

HERE is a link to a 1934 NY Supreme Court case about Brenner Bros, which has a little background information on the company. And here are a few related hits on a search for information about the company. Note the early dates on the first two references. The last image is a 1949 ad — obviously related to the contentious court case.

476C3046-BCB2-4FB7-80B0-6BA5FCA9FCBD.jpeg

66DB7299-269F-4A81-93C2-58749C863715.jpeg

9089D077-9AC8-48E2-A66D-62C054AE81AF.jpeg

4. WomensWear

WomensWear Registered Guest

MagsRags likes this.
  5. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

If you do a Google search by typing "Brenner Bros" (exactly like that, with quotation marks around the words), in the Search field, then click on the magnifying glass to the right of what you typed, you will get results. However, underneath that search field you should see options that say something like:

*All *News *Maps *Images

etc. if you see an option to click on *Books, click on that. If you don't see *Books, click on *More and one of the drop-down options should be *Books, so click on that.

In the choices that appear when you click on *Books, you should find at least ten pages of viable links to the material in the posts I made years before. I saw the Official Gazette of the US Patent Office in there. Note that in the American Contractor one there are several months/dates in Volume 35 and most/all of those months/dates in Volume 35 have a page 26, so you will have to dig.

6. WomensWear

Thanks! I thought it was such a long shot to reach out to you years later - I appreciate your getting back to me. I had been searching previously with quotations around Brenner Bros - but hadn't checked the individual headers - that's a great tip.

I found most of what you'd shown in your older comment, but I couldn't find anything about a Supreme Court case involving the Brenner Bros. I'll circle back and see if it's layered in there and I just missed it.

7. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

It looks like I forgot to add the link in the Supreme Court case reference. THIS may be it (scroll down a few pages).

8. WomensWear

This is AMAZING. Thank you so much! In researching them I'd been reading conflicting information about their store location. I found a fur coat for sale online - with Brenner Bros. label inside - but it says they're on Madison Ave - so this legal proceeding makes it clear its not our family.

The embroidery on the inside of the fur is beautiful :)
    Screen Shot 2022-03-20 at 8.15.58 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-03-20 at 8.16.13 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-03-20 at 8.16.29 AM.png

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  9. WomensWear

Hi Jennifer - do you still have the Brenner Bros coat that you posted photos of above? I think its made by my great grandfather Louis Brenner!