1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for Info on Hand Made DenisTrancet Paris Evening Bag

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by EndlessAlley, Nov 9, 2012.

1. EndlessAlley

EndlessAlley Alumni

A shop on Ruby Lane has a Denis Trancet evening bag for sale, but that is all I could find about him or his work.
    This purse has floral petit point work on the front and and flip up latch. The rest is tiny bead work maybe glass beads or seed pearl. I'm not sure how to tell the difference, but it is cool to the touch.
    Being handmade is there any way to determine a date range?
    Would love to know if anyone is familiar with his work. Thank you for your help :sunshine:
    VDF1 CLOSE UP.jpg VDF1.jpg VFG2.jpg VFG3 CLOSE UP.jpg VFG3.jpg

2. joules

joules VFG Member

It's lovely Alice. I believe the beadwork is micro-beaded glass, and the bag is 40s era.
    I have a French micro-beaded black bag listed in my shop, kind of similar. Yours is very pretty!
    Denis is maybe a woman's name?

EndlessAlley likes this.
  3. EndlessAlley

EndlessAlley Alumni

Thank you Joules for all your good information! I had a chance to look at your your lovely black evening bag. It's perfect 40s evening glamor! And I'm sure you're right that the spelling "Denis" is for a woman's name.

4. joules

joules VFG Member

Thanks, Alice! Looks like yours has a little lipstick/makeup (?) smudge inside, like mine does. :) Warpaint.

5. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I'm quite sure that Denis is a man's name. A quick search gave this result: Denis. A male given name, a mostly British spelling variant of Dennis. (And I believe the French spelling.)

I think the bag is later than 1940's - more likely 1950's or 1960's with that closure but I'll look through some resources to be sure.

Linn

EndlessAlley likes this.
  6. joules

joules VFG Member

Linn, normally yes, but my Mom, who speaks fluent French, just returned from her annual trip to France, and remarked about how
    often one would expect a certain gender by the name, and in fact, it was the opposite. I'm not sure entirely sure in this case, it was merely a guess.

7. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

I think that last name may be Francet rather than Trancet.

8. joules

joules VFG Member

9. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

I agree with MS & Julie that the name may be Francet, although that still doesn't ring a bell with me. I've seen "Denis" as a man's name, but I suppose it could be a woman's.... And I think the bag is likely to be 50s, possibly 60s, but I slightly lean 50s. I don't think it's 40s, especially with the look of that satin lining.

It's very lovely and appears to be of a higher quality than the typical glass beaded bag of that era.

10. joules

joules VFG Member

11. joules

joules VFG Member

Okay, I asked my Mom, and she says Denis is likely a man's name, but she wishes that her French teacher was still alive.

12. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Julie,

I think your bag is from the 1950's. It's really pretty! I don't speak fluent French by any means but I took 4 years in high school and two in college so I was pretty sure Denis is a man's name. Back in the day we all had to have "French" names in class. Linn is not a French name so I was Lise. I'm not telling you how long ago that was!

Linn

13. EndlessAlley

EndlessAlley Alumni

I tried Francet and Trancet in earlier searches and Trancet was the only spelling that turned up anything helpful... A shop on Ruby Lane has a Denis Trancet evening bag available. Seller notes vintage, but no era.

14. Yes, I found that RL purse too: it's lovely and I think, earlier than this one.

I've seen a lot of similar beaded bags like this one because they're generally made in Hong Kong and were very popular in the '60s - I've had a number of provenances that have dated them to late '50s to late '60s. You can see one of mine here, it has a slightly fancier clasp. Here's another one in bronze.

Although they were made in Hong Kong, they often bear labels from the country that commissioned them: the stamped label suggests a more modern date than '4os too.

Joules, I think yours is earlier: the clasp is different and quite pretty. I haven't seen one like that but I can go with a '40s date.

My mother's name was Denise, and I've heard of women being called "Denis" but it's usually a man's name.

EndlessAlley likes this.
  15. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

I think Joules's purse is older than this one & that this one is late 50s. Alice, I am pretty sure (positive really) the name is Francet. I have found some scarves online with the name Denis Francet but more to the point, that is an F & not a T. And yes, Denis is a male French name.

EndlessAlley likes this.
  16. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I can't anything about the bag, other than that it's beautiful, but Denis is definitely a male name! In fact, my host family's dad in Montreal was called Denis. And they are real Québecois ';).

Ah, Linn, we did that thing with the French names too in the first French lessons in 5th grade - and that's "only" 20 years ago.

Karin

17. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Julie, your bag is lovely, also!

I think it's earlier than Alice's, but without seeing the lining and the detail on the fittings that attach the strap to the bag, I can't be sure of age. I'm inclined to say yours is early 50s, perhaps late 40s, with that enameled and jewel-colored clasp, and Alice's is more late 50s to early 60s.

EndlessAlley likes this.
  18. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I believe that is Denis Francel, I have had a few of those similar. I agree with 1950's.

EndlessAlley likes this.
  19. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I think it is Denis Francet and you can see in the image of hits that Francet dealt in "gants" (gloves, I gather), which is not a far cry from handbags. Note, too, the dates of the references.

I also found this (peculiarly translated) page that seems to refer to (a movie about?) Denise Arnet whose husband seems to have been a "glover" and who had a business called "Denis Francelle" which she 'copied' "to the men: Denis Francet" and which sold/made, or something, "silk stockings, purses, bags, and trinkets..." Perhaps there is a kernel of fact buried in the plot? I will see if I can find information about a real Denise Arnet.

DenisFrancetGoogleBooks.jpg

EndlessAlley likes this.
  20. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Here is a L'officiel de la Mode 1983 ad for Denis Francet gloves. I believe this is the latest reference I found for Denis Francet.