1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating this Galanos dress please

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Iheartclothes, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Iheartclothes

Iheartclothes Registered Guest

Hi Folks - Thanks for accepting me. I was directed over here for some help dating a dress by James Galanos, whom I know little about.

The background is the owner was in Northern California and had a very large collection of designer goods from the mid 70's - mid 2000's. The bulk of it was from about '99-'07.

One of the unique items is this Galanos dress. It's a silk under-dress with lace at the top and bottom and covered in chiffon "petals". I'm trying to determine when it would have been made, if it was part of a particular collection. Any additional information would be appreciated as well.

It's going to stay in my collection, I'm just trying to get some background information. Thanks in advance!

IMG_8673.JPG IMG_8680.JPG
    IMG_8674.JPG IMG_8675.JPG IMG_8676.JPG IMG_8679.JPG IMG_8681.JPG IMG_8682.JPG

Retro Ruth likes this.
  2. Iheartclothes

I'm just going to try and bump this once by changing the title in case someone might have information about the era of this dress. TIA!

3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

That is a wonderful thing to own. I might venture only a guess, it reminds me of some of the dresses he did in the early 1990s. I saw an evening gown he designed, black sheath, with the very same silk chiffon petal effects, that other dress had it only on the sleeves but looks of the same idea. He was using that same type of black lace also in the late 80s early 90s.

But I am not at all sure, just get that "feel" from it.

4. Iheartclothes

Barbara - Thanks. That makes perfect sense to me.