1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for this dress or one like it. Can you help?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Most Wanted - Looking for something?' started by Eva Marieville, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Eva Marieville

Eva Marieville Registered Guest

This was described as a dusty rose crepe rayon dress. I love it and took it to a seamstress, but was told it is a bit too complicated to try to replicate. I believe this is from the 40s and 50s. The detailing at the hip is my favorite part as well as the color. Any help or leads are greatly appreciated. Thank you. :)

il_570xN.927041801_2t91.jpg il_570xN.895935571_ts58.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

What a great dress! Looks early to mid 40s to me, with that stylized Dirndl belt treatment at the waist. I might think it will be very difficult to find the exact dress, but I wish you good luck. One never knows!

Eva Marieville likes this.
  3. Great dress! I've seen thousands of late '30s-early '40s dresses but none like this one. I take it that there are no labels? If it was a home made dress, being WW2 it could have been embellished by a home sewer who was wearing it for a particular special event. I agree that there's a lot of work in that trim. It's hard to tell from the photos because close ups get blurry but it looks like the hips are trimmed in a self-made nobbly ribbon that has been folded back to create a fringe and rosettes.

The good news is that if it's home sewn, there's probably a pattern for it: you could search the Vintage Pattern Wikia and look for it, and then once you know the pattern you could find a seller. Don't focus on the trim, look for the silhouette, neckline, bust darts because the pattern may not have the trim, that could be a personalisation. Keep in mind that it was probably longer originally, maybe even floor length. Then with a pattern it's easier to find someone to make it for you, or you could make it yourself.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  4. dresswhisperer

dresswhisperer Registered Guest

Wow! That's stunning. You probably already have done it, but I'd hit ebay and just start hitting keywords. I sure hope you find one.