1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lovely Petite Point Purse....ideas on date?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by gaildavid, Feb 20, 2005.

1. gaildavid

gaildavid VFG Member

Good evening everyone. I will be listing this lovely petite point evening bag/purse this week but I am not sure of it's age. It did have a ticket stub dated 1974 but I think it may be older. It also has a small mirror and tiny coin purse which matched the lining.

[​IMG]

It has the needlework on the sides as well. The gold metal frame features tiny flowers enbedded along the edge and the clasp is a metal flower. Hope this helps to date it. Thanks for any assistance....

Gail

One more thing to hopefully help....Here's a look at the inside:

[​IMG]

thanks again....

2. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Nice pink moire' lining! Is the zipper metal or plastic? I find that you really don't see the little slip pockets for the mirrors after the 60s.

Petite Point and tapestries are sometimes hard to date (at least for me). There was a revival of that sort of thing in the late 60s/70s. I want to say that the frame makes it older. I want to guess maybe 40s/50s. But that piping down the bottom if that's what it is throws me off. But don't quote me as for me the petite points and tapestries are hard for me to date and not my forte.

Maybe Hollis would have a better date for you. I could be 100% wrong and I am willing to bet on it!

3. Patentleathershoes

To me it almost looks like it is crossstitch. But then the monitor could be doing funny things or it is really a tiny purse and makes the stitches appear bigger.

It's lovely!

4. gaildavid

gaildavid VFG Member

Thanks Chris....The stitches are little sideways slants...all angled from top to left. The zipper is pink metal. And the size is 10 1/2 at the widest. It has little metal "feet" at the bottom and the metal chain is rather heavy.

I love having someone here to ask! Thanks :wub:

Gail

5. hws4sale

hws4sale Registered Guest

My guess would be mid to late 30's, maybe into the the 40's. I'm not sure, and really cant be positive from the pictures. Usually the older the purse, the more detailed the design, and since this one is a fairly common design for the the above mentioned timeframe. I am fairly certain, (but not positive)
    This is only, of course, just the oppinion of a collector, not an expert. I just like purses, and happen to have several of this type.
    Maybe someone with a better education will be able to be more specific on a date?
    I have seen this style do very well on ebay, and also, not so well. So you never know. I've never seen these go really cheap at any time.
    Your call.
    I think you'll do well with it whenever you decide to sell.
    Paula

6. gaildavid

gaildavid VFG Member

Thanks Paula. It is always good to gain some insight from those who collect. I think it will go up for bid on Thursday. Thanks again....

Gail

7. Patentleathershoes

Yeah, i am tending to think that my date was a little late. I agree with Paula now that i look at it again. I can be bang on with leather but i don't know why petit points and the older beaded bags sometimes elude me a bit