1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maker labeled 20s dress and value ?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by cloudsofviolet, Sep 20, 2020.

1. cloudsofviolet

cloudsofviolet Registered Guest

So I have a 20s dress w/ a maker label - grace m. Blanchett modiste. I cannot find anything online.

My dilemma is that the attached hip bow may be a smidge lighter than the rest of the dress. I think that dying the bow a contrasting color would make it look more interesting in my humble opinion.

But, Do unknown maker 20s dresses have any provenance/ increase in value over unlabeled ones?

2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I wouldn't dye the bow. A smidgen doesn't sound like much, and it would irreversibly alter the original look of the dress. Is it an evening dress? If so this kind of colour difference may be less noticeable less by evening/indoor lighting. This is something I occasionally mention in a listing, that the flaws will be less obvious by evening light. Though buyers of 20s dresses aren't always getting them to party in!

Not sure on the value question of having an unknown label. I suspect it won't make a huge difference, but others may know more than me.

lkranieri and MagsRags like this.
  3. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

If you post a photo of the label and dress we may be able to provide more info

MagsRags likes this.
  4. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I found this information about an Oregon dressmaker named Grace M. Blanchett, who worked at that career around the time you say your dress was made:

-- Grace M. Blanchett was born in Oregon in 1905.
    -- In the 1920 census she had no occupation
    -- In the 1921 Pendleton OR city directory her occupation was recorded as "student".
    -- The 1925 Pendleton city directory lists Grace M. Blanchett as employed by Hays & Blanchett. If you then look up Hays & Blanchett in that same directory it says they were dressmakers (see images below).
    -- Grace Blanchett was not in the 1928 Pendleton city directory although Stella Hays was still working in women's apparel.
    -- In 1928 Grace married Kenneth P. Morrison
    -- In the 1929 Portland OR city directory Grace Morrison was listed as a dressmaker. (Note: She was not in the 1928 Portland directory)
    -- In the 1930 census she has no occupation and she was not in any Portland OR directory between 1929 and 1932, so I guess her dressmaking career was short lived.
    -- Grace Blanchett Morrison died in 1980

A photo of her from her 1921 high school yearbook:
    GraceMBlanchett1921HSYrbkPicClip.jpg

From the 1925 Pendleton OR city directory:
    GraceMBlanchett1925PendletonORDirClip.jpg

Also from that 1925 city directory:
    Hays&BlanchettPendeltonORDir.jpg

From the 1929 Portland OR city directory:
    GraceMBlanchett1929PortlandORDirClip.jpg

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020