1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mam'selle by Betty Carol Dress Information

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Elizabeth Clare Brauer, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Elizabeth Clare Brauer

Elizabeth Clare Brauer Registered Guest

I was wondering if anyone could help me identify this lovely dress that I inherited. Does anyone know what year it is from? I found a picture of an ad for Cartier Jewels with a woman wearing this dress. Please excuse the quality of the photo's! 20210613_050856b.jpg 20210613_051418.jpg 20210613_051329.jpg 20210613_051236.jpg

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

4. Elizabeth Clare Brauer

5. Elizabeth Clare Brauer

Thank you! I posted below.

6. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Fantastic dress!

GemGem likes this.
  7. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

8. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

9. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Oohh, how fantastic! I am sure an expert will be along soon enough with some amazing info. Just wanted to drop by and stand with the crowd :)

10. Elizabeth Clare Brauer

Can anyone recommend a good website that I could sell my dress on? I am not very techy, so easy would be great! Thank you so much.

11. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

There are lots to chose from. There are some higher end sites depending on the valuation (vintagefashionguild does not offer valuations) like 1stdibs, but they charge a very fee and a hefty subscription. Also places like Etsy, eBay and Rubylane, some local sites too depending on what Country you live in. You can always google your maker/designer and see what sites sell similar.

12. Vintagiality

The ad for this dress was featured in the September 1st 1960 issue of Vogue so it is from right at the start of the decade.
    It says it’s made of black chiffon wool and taffeta.
    Betty Carol was a designer and part owner of Mam'selle. She had a reputation for making the best junior-size sheath dresses in the business. Brooklyn born and educated, she entered the fashion world as a model, later became an illustrator, started designing after her marriage and the birth of the first of her three children. At Mam'selle she designed five lines of two hundred items a year according to an article in Cosmopolitan .

Betty Carol insisted that “junior” was really not a size but a look, “the look of the American woman today.”

GemGem and The Vintage Merchant like this.
  13. Vintagiality

There are many places to sell but it sort of depends if you really want to set up a shop for one item as some of these avenues would require. You can sell one offs on eBay and also try some of the vintage selling groups on Facebook. Most don’t do well with pricier items there but you never know.

GemGem and The Vintage Merchant like this.