1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Man's wool smoking jacket...40s? Earlier?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by denisebrain, Dec 1, 2008.

1. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Man\'s wool smoking jacket...40s? Earlier?

I'm out of my element when it comes to men's vintage, and all I have to go on with this jacket is a 96-y-o woman's statement is that it's "very old," and a faded label.

The great fabric is wool with two distinct sides. All edges have cording and there's a corded knot fastener under the lapels. Inside the cuffs are striped cotton liners, otherwise it is not lined but all the inseams are covered in black sateen.

Any help gratefully accepted!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Maggie, I'm thinking 1930s for this one.

Nicole

3. denisebrain

Thank you Nicole...is it the lapels, or what clued you in?

4. Yes - the lapels. 1940s ones have bigger lapels, rounder. 1930s tailoring tends to be sleeker, less bulky.

Nicole

5. avamac

avamac Alumni

Are you sure it isn't older? That stripey lining is looking 20s or even edwardian to me, ditto the style of the label...

6. denisebrain

I'm all ears as I don't personally have enough experience to say with men's stuff. I have seen a similar woven striped lining in a certifiably Edwardian man's jacket but I wasn't sure if it might have been a feature more recently as well. Is there anything else I can describe to help verify the date?

7. joules

joules VFG Member

I'm with Maryalice, due to the textiles; it's at least thirties, if not rather much older, I'm thinking.
    Don't smack me, but you appear to be a gorgeous mannequin in the shot.

8. denisebrain

Pretty darn stiff, huh? I wish I had a male model...my guy is 6'2" and makes everything look dinky.

9. joules

joules VFG Member

It looks glorious with your coloring, and it's good that you can stand so still. It makes for clear photos.

10. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

I sooooo see Clark Gable in this in some movie where the dame interrupts his nightcap with urgent news of the whereabouts of the cab driver.
    Heh.

You are so damn cute, Maggie!

11. denisebrain

Good script Kristine! Count me in!

12. avamac

avamac Alumni

A jacket similar to yours on eBay....tho she calls it out as felt lined with another fabric; I think both hers and yours are double-woven wool, like a blanket.

13. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

That's lovely! (And your presentation is fab as always... ;))

The limited number of smoking jackets I've seen have been later, jacquard satin ones, so this is such a treat!

14. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Maggie, Are you able to read the label? I can't tell what it says, but if you can I might be able to look it up in the newspapers.
    Lynne

15. pinky-a-gogo

pinky-a-gogo VFG Member VFG Past President

I had a very similiar one in the past and it was dated to the late teens early 20's by the label.

So now when I see this style with the frog closures and rounded collar, I always remember that date.

Very nice! A perfect holiday gift.

16. Maggie, I just sold this one last week: 290277239930
    Same style as yours and every one here agreed on 20s. I have seen a lot like mine up for sale, but I have never seen yours. You should do very well with it.

17. denisebrain

Oh, sorry I missed yours Deborah! :embaressed:

Very similar to the one you had and to the one Maryalice pointed out. I do believe the wool was heated or otherwise processed to make it felt-like. It still has a distinct weave, but is very dense. Definitely double-sided. The lapels are a little narrower.

Lynne, I can't read this label at all, sorry to say.

18. When I think smoking jacket I think satin lapels and belt. Nice to see such an elegant version~ Yours is so dashing-

19. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Maggie, really smashing & elegant jacket! And I'm sure the others are right about it being 20s or so. All the later ones I've seen have been, as Carrie notes, the jacquard satins....

20. denisebrain

Thanks again for the help...I've adjusted my listing and will hope to do even half as well as Deborah!