1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marcelle Lely Paris Flapper Hat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by EndlessAlley, Dec 12, 2011.

1. EndlessAlley

EndlessAlley Alumni

Thank you for any information on Marcelle Lely Paris Hats. I found a number of references to her in the archive news, but very little on currently available and solds. Any suggests as to a resource for price range and sold records.

Also wondering if I have this hat displayed correctly?

I have lightened images considerably so you can see details. I can see from lightened images it's a bit dusty.

IMG_5792.JPG IMG_5790.JPG IMG_5791.JPG IMG_5795.JPG

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

What a stunning hat, it looks like it is from ca. 1930. No info on this maker, perhaps Barbara will be around to let you know!

3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Hello,

That is stunning! I am envious as I do not think I have a Lely hat. I do not have any research on the designer, but, like you, have seen references on line or in magazines. A few of my older Vogue magazines show Lely hats and mention the styles and materials, but nothing else. What I found elsewhere was all written in French, which I do not read very well, (but I am going to learn someday).

I agree on the 1930 dating...possibly 1928-1929...it could be 1930 since the millinery styles were in flux and changed radically in a short time from 1929-1930. Is it wool or is it fur-felt? I am guessing it is a fur felt.

I am one of those people who does not ever use recent sale prices to evaluate a hat's pricing or worth. Hats, like other garments, can be all over the map and a final sale price can have nothing at all to do with its true "value/worth". I recently saw a 1930's Schiaparelli hat sell for for $30, but we all know it is worth 100 times that amount. Conversely, I saw a butt ugly, hot glue and turkey feather, cheap wool body Jack McConnell hat from the mid 1990s sell for $1000 and it was worth 1/20th of that. Realized prices, (whether live auctions or in line shops) are extremely misleading to evaluate a hat's worth....I just cannot recommend that as a pricing method. I hate to say this, but easily 80% of the hats I see on-line are way out of line with pricing, most are overpriced and dated incorrectly. And at auctions they sometimes go for tiny prices too. It really is way too all over the map to be an accurate method.

Back to the hat.....it is stunning. As a collector, I can say that it is a true rarity, especially beautiful, and so I would price it accordingly...on the high side.

B

shopendlessalley likes this.
  4. I agree with Barbara - hat prices are all over the place. I know a seller who will buy a cheap $5 hat on ebay, and then sell it for several hundred dollars. It works for her because she's lovely, well presented and people like her - but if they knew how little she paid for her stock they might go straight to ebay next time.

I suspect your hat is displayed the wrong way around, perhaps the plaited bit should sit at the nape of the neck? It's a beautiful hat, I made a similar one when I studied costume design, mine also had a big bow and was based on a design from 1929.

For selling vintage hats, especially when they're this old, I think that size is the major determinant of price: many are too small for modern wearers, so if you've got a decent sized one you can charge a lot more.

5. Rue_de_la_Paix

Excellent point Nicole! With hats, the size really matters. and even 1/2" can make or break a sale. What is the inner circumference of this beauty? The bigger the better!

Where does the label sit in relation to the way you show it on the manny head? Usually they are sewn in the back, or could be at the tip top of the lining. Can you show it turned round the other way....just curious now. But it looks right to me the way you have it.

6. EndlessAlley

EndlessAlley Alumni

Thanks Nicole and Barbara for the question regarding direction. I had the same question. In my first images label was to the front of the hat. With this new set of images the label now sits at the back of the hat. Hat circumference is 21 1/2". So what do you think? My husband, who watches a lot of old movies, told me I was showing the hat "backwards" the first time. Arrrggg, is he right????

IMG_5803.JPG IMG_5797.JPG IMG_5804.JPG IMG_5812.JPG

7. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

I think the second set of photos is correct. Gorgeous hat!

8. Rue_de_la_Paix

Much better! Yes, I agree, the second photo is definitely correct. 21 1/2 is on the small side, especially for a cloche of that helmet style, which really needs to be at least 22 1/2 to 23 inches if it is to sit correctly on the average woman's head. That hat was made for an adult women with a smaller than average head (remember too there would be real hair under there). So it will sell to a lady who has a small head, or a collector who does not care about the size. But it does effect the value when it is a small size.

It is gorgeous!

9. Thank you for turning it around - it looks gorgeous! And now is reminding me of the beautiful cloches worn in "Some Like It Hot" (1959 set in 1929). Some one is going to really love that one.

10. Villa

Villa Registered Guest

Gorgeous! Definately looks better the way it is sitting in the second set of pics.

11. EndlessAlley

EndlessAlley Alumni

attached are images of the only two issues I see with this Lely . 1. a 1/2" tear to be stitched (this piece is against the head and hidden by the bow. 2. safety pin is keeping the bow attached to the "ribbon" pieces on the hat. Pin was on the hat when received and thought it would be best left for a professional to reattach. Both appear to be easy repairs that do not affect the integrity of the hat.

IMG_5885.JPG IMG_5887.JPG