1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. fashion_diva

fashion_diva Registered Guest

IMG_3842.JPG I just found this shift dress. I thought it was vintage by the tag. I did look at your site and found the tag from a blouse and it was stated it was from 2000's. Is this tag still vintage? I am including the tag and some pics if anyone can give me any more info on the dress. I just happened on your site and I thank you SO much in advance! I do not know how to rotate the photos.. I am on my phone.. I apologize!

Attached Files:

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Cool Marimekko piece! I suspect it is newer and may not yet be vintage (must be at least 20 years old for that). I tried to find your print in the Helsinki Design Museum's Marimekko archive (http://marimekko.kokoelma.fi/default.aspx) but couldn't find it - but then this may or may not be complete, certainly some newer prints are missing there. You just never know with them - they recycle vintage prints in new colorways, and their clothes designs are quite unique too and do not always follow current fashions. Another clue to dating might be if your item has any other tags. Is there any care label (that would probably be in one of the side seams)? If yes, please post it.

3. fashion_diva

fashion_diva Registered Guest

Thank you SO much...but there are no other tags on the garment at all! I listed it on eBay as Vintage but not in the vintage category. I have 6 people watching it so I think I maybe need to put in the listing that it was made in the 2000's and remove vintage from the listing. It sure is an odd print and a really odd dress and definitely does not follow current fashion! haha...please let me know what you think. Thanks so much!

4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks - I'm a huge Marimekko fan, but my experience is mostly with current items and fabrics - been going to Helsinki and shopping Marimekko when I can since 2000 :), though at first I only bought fabric. Their clothes aren't cheap, but well worth the price since the quality is so good. The tag looks newer, but not like those in garments I've bought in the last 5-10 years. Then again, normally a garment like this would also have a separate care label. My guess it's anyhwere from the 90s to earlier 2000's. So it me just be 20 years old - or not. Another avenue you could try would be to write to Marimekko and ask them. I am pretty sure they have a good archive themselves and would know when they had which designs.