1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marks & Spencer

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by claireshaeffer, Oct 3, 2018.

1. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Another sad closing--
    upload_2018-10-3_6-24-23.png

2. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Oh noes, this is so sad. High streets as we know them are rapidly changing. So many eateries/coffee stops where once were clothing stores.

Great article, thanks for sharing.

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

They always had quality clothes, a bit staid but good quality. We haven't had one here in years, so I don't know what the merchandise is like these days. Sad to hear they are going under.

4. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

It's still the mainstay for all the costumers I know for good quality hard wearing clothing. Plus when no where else sells it, M&S does!

5. That is sad.

I tried hard to buy some clothes during my recent trip but despite going into M&S in various locations, they just seemed too staid and boring, and not even boring in a classic fashion. All I wanted was a couple of well-fitting tshirts in nice colours but all the ones I tried were too big on the shoulders and too small on the bust. I easily found them elsewhere (Seasalt) but it didn’t bode well for me: if you’re selling dozens of a basic tshirt but none of them fit, you have bigger problems as a retailer.

6. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Agree with Melanie - when I was in Dublin on our team trip I bought this lovely 40s dress, and crazy as I am planned to wear it that evening... so, find a slip or half slip (the vintage shop had nothing that worked unfortunately) and some tights. I ended up in M&S for the half slip, and they were the only ones it seemed who had that kind of thing.
    It's not the first thing this has happened to me... maybe I should be wiser and just pack a slip and some tights just in case the next time :hysterical:.

poppysvintageclothing likes this.