1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maxi Skirt & Crop Top Batik by Flair

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by *~Eli!, Feb 9, 2021.

1. *~Eli!

*~Eli! Registered Guest

Hello Lovelies,

It has been a very long time since I last visited. I hope everyone is getting along well in these crazy times.

I really need help. I have absolutely no clue about this set. I have researched and researched. All I get is information on Flair pens.

It feels like cotton. The matching cloth covered buttons and loops are functional. Skirt buttons to about the knee and is open from there. There are no zippers, only buttons and snaps. The label is Flair Penang / Malaysia. I just have no clue. Is it 1960s? 1970s?

I've seen Flair of Miami Tiki dresses. But this label clearly only says Flair. Its gotta be the same shop, right?

I've had clothing labeled "Flair of Miami" before. The label looks the same, but without the 'Miami' part.

I've only found 2 posts here about Flair of Miami and they do not help. I know that Flair of Miami incorporated in the 1950s.

Question is 1) what era 2)how to describe it 3) anything about the history of Flair or Flair of Miami

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Nice to see you, Eli!

I've had a look at some Flair of Miami labels, but I have to say I am seeing differences to your label, the font, the color... Honestly speaking, I don't think it's the same shop, it seems a bit far stretched to me.

But let's see if others chime in who may have more information, also re. Flair of Miami.

3. *~Eli!

*~Eli! Registered Guest

Thank you. It's driving me crazy. I just cannot search it anymore.

From what era do you think this is from? But 1950s? 1960s? 1970s? The label is definitely not perfect but so similar with the same name. I just do not know. I sick of searching.

I've never struggled so much with a piece in my life and I really do not like to list anything without some sort of context and info if I can help it.

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

5. *~Eli!

*~Eli! Registered Guest

oh and nice to see you too. :)

Midge likes this.
  6. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

does the label not say 'Flair, Penang Malaysia'? If so it could be a tailors. I do remember my mother going there in the 90s and taking some of her favourite clothes because they were so much cheaper than here to replicate with good quality tailors craftmanship. There was certainly an abundance then and I think the tailors scene had been going for some decades.

7. Shanzie

Shanzie Registered Guest

Hi Eli,

I might be able to shed a little more light on this. I also inherited several dresses made by Flair, Penang-Malaysia from my grandmother.

She told me that she had them made while she was stationed in Malaysia so I'm supporting the name of the tailor theory.

I've attached images of the gowns I own. Please excuse the creases, they have been hanging in the back of my cupboard.

Out of interest would anyone have some sort of idea of how much these are worth? These items are in very good condition. No intention of selling due to sentimental value.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    Retro Ruth likes this.
  8. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Thank you for sharing your dresses, @Shanzie ! I would guess they were also late 60s to 70s, and it does look like this was the same company. Though they all have a size label, like Eli's, so they would not have been custom-made pieces, but maybe this was a small-ish company that made them locally, or they were altered to fit.