1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

me again with a chiffon (?)dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by maltby, Feb 14, 2021.

1. maltby

maltby Registered Guest

Hi all- this one is interesting to me because of the muslin (?) lining. The bodice is also stuffed with like cotton balls?? or some kind of stuffing

just never seen one quite like it, hand sewn. Do you guys think 50s?

Attached Files:

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Oh, this is gorgeous! So much work in all that draping and stitching it down by hand!

I think maybe early 60s, and probably your manni is a bit too tall for it - or has it been shortened? In any case, early 60s would be getting a bit shorter but still covering the knees. Does it have a zipper in the back, and what kind?

The padding is at the bust, right? So probably to fill it up a little more - or maybe even added later for someone who was smaller than the original owner... Can you show a full photo of the inside of the front of the bodice so that we can see how it's constructed?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  3. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

If you show the inside of the hem, we might be able to tell if it was shortened.

4. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I agree with '60s but I think it's a little later than early '60s due to the length unless it's been shortened. I think it's closer to mid-'60s - 1964/1965. Lovely dress and wonderful color!

Katarzyna likes this.
  5. maltby

maltby Registered Guest

Thanks so much- here’s a bit of a better pic of the interior boxier

Attached Files:

6. maltby

maltby Registered Guest

“Bodice” thanks autocorrect! I’ll get a look at the hem and share that later too!

7. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member