1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

measurements terminology

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Vintagiality, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Hi all,

I have a customer asking for particular measurements I am not certain about as I am not familiar with the terminology.

CB and Cf to Waist

CB and CC to Waist

CD to waist

I think CB and CF are center back and center front but I can’t find anything about CC or CD besides a reference to calf circumference which wouldn’t be applicable to a dress.

I hope the experts here can help.

Thank you
    Victoria

wyogems likes this.
  2. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

If what is shown here is correct it would be shoulder to waist.

I could not find any other references so far. Looking forward to seeing other responses.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    Vintagiality likes this.
  3. Vintagiality

Thanks Caryn. I think shoulder to waist makes sense. Still wondering what CC is if each one represents a specific point.

4. Lucybelle

Lucybelle Registered Guest

Can you clarify with the customer? CB and CF are common abbreviations for center back and center front but I am not familiar with the use of CC and CD as terms for specific landmarks, and have been taking measurements for decades. It could be shoulder to waist or shoulder point to waist. Different patterning books label reference points differently, so what is shown as CD or CC on the referenced diagram above may not be consistent with all patterning systems. I spot checked a couple of my patterning books to confirm.

Vintagiality likes this.
  5. Vintagiality

This is the clarification I received:

CD: From the top of the neck to the end of the beading CF. (The beading is vertical and runs up to empire waist level)

CC: from clavicle to belly button

I learned something new :)

Retro Ruth and peaceful vintage like this.
  6. I never have never heard of these terms and I have been selling for over 25 years.

wyogems likes this.