1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Men's shirt date question

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by hatfeathers, Aug 11, 2008.

1. hatfeathers

hatfeathers VFG Member

Men\'s shirt date question

I don't know for sure if this is vint or not, really...it looks the part, and I have a feeling it is. It's always the simplest things that give me the most trouble! :powwows:

The fabric is transluscent nylon-type blend with a plisse texture. No serging, vertical button holes, plastic buttons, loop collar, no care tag. Maker's tag says "Made in Jamaica British West Indies" with an RN 29228 and neck measurement and "M" size indicator.

I've done a little looking up for Jamaica, and it looks like the whole "British West Indies" thing was dissolved in the 60s...but would they have dropped that all together as a name then?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Help?

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Great shirt, I would go with later 50s on it and it looks to be made of a seersucker nylon!

3. Agree with Mary Jane :cheer:

4. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

also agree on fabric, but your date could actually be late 40's on this; my dad had a couple that he'd wear in the summer time to family reunions and such. anyway, i've had really good luck with these shirts GOOD LUCK!!

5. vertugarde

vertugarde Alumni

A bit late to the party but to answer your question about the British West Indies re: the 60's "dissolution" and would they have dropped the term altogether as a name then? I think the answer is no for products like garments. Legal documents with the term have no validity but the term was and is still used. Jamaica a former British Colony is part of The Commonwealth of Nations. Queen Elizabeth II is Head of State.

The fabric was probably shipped in and the shirt(s) sewn up in Jamaica. I would have said the shirt is 60's maybe even later.