1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mens Vtg Overcoat, no tags. I am about to set it on fire.

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by KellyDiane, Nov 24, 2022.

1. KellyDiane

KellyDiane Registered Guest

I have, no kidding, at least 5 hours, (i am embarrassed to say its actually more) invested in trying to figure out who made this Coat. Its a very nice coat, extremely well made, and uncommon because I cant find it ANYWHERE. Here is my inexperienced description..... It has a "peaked" lapel (if that means a Deeper angle on the lapel), It has 4 buttons that appear to be plastic that are brown and tan marbled colors, it is single breasted, it is stitched well with 2 lines of thread running along the lapel and down the front, it is a light tan color, it has 2 slash pockets (If slashed means slanted) 2 pockets on the outside and one on the inside left that has the only tag that I could find and it says Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America 524389 and has a circled R. It also has a slit in back that has an extra button about halfway so you can shorten the slit. Thanks in Advance for being so awesome and helping me. Oh, and also, There was a tag that was big and square inside the back collar but it has been removed. I would be forever grateful to anyone who can tell me anything about this coat. P.s. the material it is made of is kind of puffy like it won't wrinkle easy and every spot it had on it has been easy to remove. It's absorbent but stain resistant. I'll take a pic of it up close and add.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
  2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

That's a great coat. There are loads of lovely vintage garments out there with no labels or with labels from companies which are long gone and for which little or no documentation exists online, so we'll never know who produced them.
    As for the union label, you can find more information here: https://vintagefashionguild.org/label-resource/amalgamated-clothing-workers-of-america/
    Yours looks similar to the one in use from 1962 to 1976.

3. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

my first impulse dating-wise is 60s to possibly early 70s.

4. KellyDiane

KellyDiane Registered Guest

Thank you!