1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Michaele Vollbracht Apron Dress Label identification help

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Caleb Phillips, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Caleb Phillips

Caleb Phillips Registered Guest

Hi! I have this Michaele Vollbracht dress that I am trying to identify what the second part of the label says. What do yall think? DSC_0331.jpg DSC_0353.jpg DSC_0357.jpg

2. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

The closest thing I could find to your label was this 1983 Michaele Vollbrach for Sofere advertisement:
    MichaeleVollbrachForSofere1983.jpg

The red script for Sofere was the only red-script thing I found associated with Vollbrach and there is a bit of a similar sound to "Sofere" and "over--" whatever that is. There are, however, several things that lead me to wonder whether your label is an attempt to pass off the label as a genuine Vollbrach creation, although I have no idea whether his items were so popular in 1983 that it would have been worthwhile doing that. Nonetheless, the things that caught my eye are:

-- the possible attempt to mislead with the (sort of) similarity to the Sofere signature
    -- the letter spacing in the Michaele Vollbrach box is not the same as that in the ad I posted above
    -- the second letter in Vollbrach on your label looks more like a figure 8 than an 'O'

It does, however, look like an identical (to my ad) Michaele Vollbrach logo on the apron. Is the red top attached to the skirt? Could the top be a separate piece with a wonky label that attempts to imitate Vollbach's label?

3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I think 'overs' was a line he had of dresses intended to be worn over other garments, like T-shirts. That look was certainly popular in about 1983. Not that I am authenticating the dress, however, that cat print was one of Vollbracht's best known designs, and his work doesn't command a high enough value to encourage knock-offs, so I think its unlikely a copy or fake.

lkranieri likes this.
  4. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Thank you, Jonathan. That is information I couldn’t have known, but appreciate learning.

5. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

He did a wide range of lines from couture one-offs to ready-to-wear for department stores, so I think 'Overs' is one of those lines. I met Michaele (he added the last 'e' for drama) in the late 90s when he was brought in to style an exhibition about Beth and Herbert Levine for the Bata Shoe Museum. He was VERY entertaining at table -- had a story about EVERYONE in the biz... He worked hard and took commissions and jobs wherever he could find them. The fashion industry is so fickle, you grab what you can when you can because tomorrow there might not be anything on offer...

6. Caleb Phillips

Caleb Phillips Registered Guest

That is so exciting!! What a table to be at!! Thank you so much for sharing!