1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

missoni label

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by katitak, Nov 25, 2010.

1. katitak

katitak Registered Guest

hello :) can anyone tell me if this is a genuine missoni label and what era it is.. being vintage. thanks so much x

2. I have doubts about it being genuine: it's printed, which isn't something that quality designer labels generally do, and it's not centred and poorly sewn in - it's also nothing like the label that I have or those in the label resource. So without being an expert on Missoni, I would say fake.

In which case it's probably fairly modern - if you show a photo of the garment as a whole, we can date it.

Nicole

3. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

The printed label seems odd, unless it is actually a secondary label not located in the neck. Are the care directions on the reverse of this? I've seen high end care labels with the label name printed on them.

And the fabric looks right. Could we see a better close-up of it?

4. katitak

katitak Registered Guest

MORE PICTURES

HELLO THANK YOU ALL FOR YR REPLIES. HERE ARE MORE PICTURES. THE LABEL DOESNT CONVINCE ME BUT THE SHAWL DOES LOOK AUTHENTIC. WHAT DO U THINK? X:help::help:

5. katitak

katitak Registered Guest

PICTURES: ?MISSONI?

6. katitak

katitak Registered Guest

MISSONI???? HELP ME

I REALLY HOPE ITS ORIGINAL. HAS MISSONI NEVER PRODUCED A LABEL LIKE THIS BEFORE. I HAVE SEARCHED THE INTERNET BUT FOUND NO INFORMATION ON LABELS. HOPING SOME VINTAGE EXPERT CAN TELL ME 100% FOR SURE XXX

7. ivycompany

ivycompany Alumni

I believe it's a fake. It looks like the label is photocopied onto tyvek paper. And those shawls are mass produced. Sorry.

8. bycin

bycin Guest

It's a knock-off. Bummer. Pretty though.

9. testbunny

testbunny Registered Guest

I have assessed this for some time and without doubt this is a genuine Missoni shawl based on my own...
    I own one with a similar washing instruction label - the shawl is similar but more rusty colours. I also have a brown and blue check silky sweater with this rather papery looking label too. It is approximately early 1980's.I have had my shawl since then. I think the label has come adrift and been re stitched. the pic does it no favours as it emphasises the restitching.
    Missoni DOES sport printed labels and I would suggest looking at it you are looking at just the fibre content label( can you just see through it to the washing symbols?) and the other woven side label is missing from the pics.
    It is in a special knit pattern called flame stitch which emulates Venetian flame stitch on tapestries.
    It is very typically Missoni's style to use this knit.I have never seen a mass produced vesrion which uses fine shading like this.
    They used to have two shawls in my friend's shop like this.They were priced then at £250 and £300 respectively to give a price estimate.That was some time ago- sigh!
    Also I have done a little study: Proper flame stitch machines are incredibly rare and Missoni started off his business by buying up a warehouse of antique foulard machines. he made silk and viscose shawls very often. As for mass produced- well Missoni shawls and scarves are multiply produced on a medium scale as in thousands. They are not couture pieces, they are pret a porter.
    They are still rare as they are so costly to produce and I do not think the shawls are made any more....
    I have never ever seen a good fake flame stitch , it is quite costly and difficult to reproduce and is usually printed in a very tacky way on horrible jersey. This shawl is clearly woven/knitted in very fine ply silky yarn with rainbow like shifts in shade and hue. Mine is scrumptious.
    Also look at the pleating at the points of the shawl- this is hand constructed( like mine) as the fringe is added on having been woven separately.
    I have handled several of these shawls and if no one is going to buy this one- where is it?
    I love the colours. It's better than mine - bah!
    You cannot just go by labels on vintage as it is construction too which gives it away.
    Look also at the very fine knit and the shading- it is too multi hued with an overall gold hue for a knock off.It takes time to set up a machine with all these colours, and time to attach a fringe which has a lace border as this seems to have above the fringe.
    I would reckon it to be genuine judging from my own collection.
    I hope you bought it in the end.

10. testbunny

PS I meant to say flamestitch, not foulard!

11. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Testbunny -

You can go back and edit your original post to put in "flamestich" where you wrote foulard. Click on your post and hit the Edit Post button. You can edit - then proof in Preview Post and then click Edit Post at the bottom.

Perhaps you could post a photo or two from your personal collection. You've made some really excellent points. I have only seen Missoni in stores and on people wearing them, but the knit looks correct to me, too.

12. testbunny

Missoni shawl

Oh thanks- !
    I was looking up Missoni online and found the debate about this shawl- it is so like my own i just felt I had to say it was genuine.
    Someone may be put of buying it or just feel so let down if they own it, and it is so lovely to have a flame stitch shawl in your collection. They are so very rare.
    I don't go by labels too much, just on quality and a quite a bit of textile design knowledge. It helps if you knit and sew, you can actually see how things are made and be quite quite amazed.

13. testbunny

Ps. if the original poster wanted to sell this at all I would love to know where and when. Maybe I will see the shawl one day at auction!

14. retrorubyexpert

retrorubyexpert Registered Guest

I am sure this is a genuine shawl, as have one entirely similar in my store and handled several at auction when I was a textile valuer. The label is a red herring- it has been handstitched in and is the washing care label, the fabric is unmistakably Missoni as is the construction and style.
    I just think teh label should have been machine stitched and has come loose and been handstitched back. There may or may not be another rusty coloured silky label, it doesn't matter- it's Missoni!
    I value these at £2-300 in good condition.

15. Katitak, you haven't mentioned the material this is made of - does the label show a fabric content?

All the ones I can find online are wool (and heavier). It is similar in weight to the silk Missoni garments I have, but looks more like a synthetic to me.

thanks,
    Nicole