1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mod/gogo dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by TaylorW, Jan 17, 2020.

1. TaylorW

TaylorW Registered Guest

The history of this dress is a mystery, I got it from a from about 15 years ago who got it from a friend. There are no other labels except for the “Country Set” label. With the unfinished seams, I’m almost certain it wasn’t sold in stores. But I could of course be wrong! I can just imagine a model wearing this dress for a photo shoot in the 60s or 70s. If clothes could talk! Hoping I could get a little more information from the experts :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Alleycats

Alleycats VFG Member

Country Set label was first in use in 1957. owner Margit Sportswear. Last listed owner was Evan Picone. Renewed in 1978 but since has expired.

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  3. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

SO CUTE!!!

i sold a cut-out mini dress similar to yours about 10 years ago, except mine was in a Tahitian print, and had a wide scoop neckline.

i see some $$$ in your future! it just needs a little tlc: is that a bit of staining at the front/side hem? (or just an image shadow?) and the front facing would benefit if it were tacked down (instead of pinned). Freshen her up, be sure to iron her, she's fabulous!!!

4. 196t's

196t's Registered Guest

This dress is saying "1969" to me... I'm not 100% sure though, it reminded me of the unusual cuts of some dresses I've seen from that period.

5. TaylorW

TaylorW Registered Guest

Thank you!! Yes, she does have a stain. Yeah the safety pins have been there since I’ve had her, I planned on tacking it down! How much would a dress like this be listed at? (Not sure if I’m allowed to ask that or not..)

6. TaylorW

TaylorW Registered Guest

Thanks for the reply! I can imagine some thigh high chunky heeled white boots with this dress

7. TaylorW

TaylorW Registered Guest

Thank you!

8. Racked Vintage

Racked Vintage Alumni VFG Past President

Adorable dress! It's terrific with the cut outs. We do not advise on prices or give valuations here but I thank you for sharing it! :)

9. Marzilli_Vintage

Marzilli_Vintage VFG Member

Looks like a Marimekko print.

10. I am seeing this as a bathing suit. Especially with the button shoulder straps. How long is it?
    It would have had matching boy shorts.

11. The Vintage Merchant

12. Joyatri

Joyatri VFG Member

13. catseyevintage

catseyevintage VFG Member

So cute!

I'm thinking this may had a built in bra that was cut out leaving the interior front facing raw.

Also looks like the hem has been shortened from it's original length.

I once had a very similar dress with cut out sides that was maxi length with the built in bra.

14. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

Yes, that would explain the raw edges! I've been thinking and thinking about why that would be.
    Marian

15. TaylorW

TaylorW Registered Guest

Joyatri likes this.
  16. TaylorW

TaylorW Registered Guest

I like that idea! However, the material isn’t swimsuit material though, it is very sturdy. Almost denim like.

17. TaylorW

TaylorW Registered Guest

I sent her a message telling her I had an almost identical dress and was hoping to get some more information on it! It even has the buttons on the shoulder!! And the material is the same!

Joyatri likes this.
  18. The Vintage Merchant

some swimwear manufacturers did use a sort of duck cloth, or sturdy cotton for some of their suits at that time. :)

19. TaylorW

TaylorW Registered Guest

Thanks for the rectification. I’m glad swim suit materials has improved since then

Flannery Crane likes this.