1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modern vintage fashion

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by jennie hunt, Jan 12, 2021.

1. jennie hunt

jennie hunt Registered Guest

Modern vintage fashion tends to old-style clothing with high street clothing. Bold and large prints, high waist pants, collared shirts, longs pants and long sleeves all are part of vintage fashion.

Also, classic fashion is a style that is continuing from many seasons, sometimes even years. A simple black dress, a worsted wool suit, a leather jacket. All these classic fashion repeats year after year.

Do you agree with these vintage styles?

2. mags_rags

mags_rags Trade Member

In my head, the term "Modern Vintage Fashion" is jarring.

There is "Modern Fashion", which tends to recycle vintage styles of the past. The "bold and large prints, high waist pants" you mention are inspired by the 1970s. The 70s designers borrowed the silhouette from the 1940s and 1930s. Fashion in the 1960s was in large part inspired by the 192os. 60s styles have had revivals in the 2000s.

To me, "Vintage Fashion" means authentic vintage - an actual 60s dress, not a 60s style dress or a retro 60s look.

There is a place for "Vintage Style" clothing - it can be difficult to find some of the vintage styles in larger sizes, and older garments (especially pre-1950s) tend to be more fragile and most can't be tossed in the washer & dryer. But it feels disingenuous for modern clothing companies to market their Vintage Style products in such a way that they rise to the top of the internet search engines, pushing authentic vintage fashion off the first page of returns.

3. Midge

Midge Trade Member

I agree - the term Modern Vintage doesn't work. There's modern, which can be vintage-inspired, or there's true vintage. And both can be a variety of styles, including classic.

mags_rags likes this.
  4. jennie hunt

jennie hunt Registered Guest

@Midge I'll look at these pages