1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

This is the beginning of Modernism Week in Palm Springs. We have a lot of homes, art at the convention center, tours, and events suggesting you wear a modernism outfit--fifties. The only problem is that fifties outfits are very "modern" and the waists and hips are too small for most figures. I'm interested to see what people wear.

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  2. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

A friend went to this last year - I would LOVE to check this out!

3. claireshaeffer

Would you like for me to post the dates for next year?

4. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

I was in Palm Springs last year for a warm weather break during part of Modernism week. We did the Show and Sale at the convention center - the vendors had some amazing things, mostly furniture and home décor, and most too rich for our blood. There was quite a bit of jewelry (including some killer bakelite and celluloid), one booth focused on clothing and a few with a smattering.
    We saw a lot of great period autos, not many people out and about in vintage or retro garb.

5. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

Yes please Claire!

6. claireshaeffer

I don't remember vintage garb being recommended before this year.

7. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Just wondering how the weekend is going, with all this torrential rain. I heard Palm Springs got hit hard. We had flooding here yesterday and I could not open the front door as we had a river in front of the house that would have come right in!

Maybe next year I will take a drive to the desert and check out this Modernism weekend. Any excuse to make that lovely drive through the high desert!

8. claireshaeffer

It rained last night but there have only been a few sprinkles today. There were a lot of people on the street downtown. Only one event was cancelled. We saw several groups on residential walking tours. We live in an old neighborhood; the mid-century houses are are several blocks away.
    It looks like it's going to rain more.

We're on a slight downhill. Last year I ordered some pigs to make a barricade at the large window in the living room that goes to the ground. This is where it will come in if we have lots of water. I bought enough pigs to put on the walk and at the front door but I haven't needed them yet.