1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Morris Motors - Driving Glasses Query

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by richardofyork86, Aug 19, 2018.

1. richardofyork86

richardofyork86 Registered Guest

Hi,

I was wondering if any forum members would be able to provide any information on a pair of 'Morris Motors Ltd' driving glasses (please see photos). They turned up as part of a relative's house clearance.

Flickr album: https://www.flickr.com/gp/166396817@N06/9n260y

At I guess I would say they are driving glasses from the 1920s/30s. They are quite heavy and could be made of silver with glass lenses (tinted blue). The wrap around frames are spring loaded to fit the wearer's ears. The bridge has 'Morris Motors Ltd No 88' hand engraved.

The leather visors are aged as can be seen in the photos. The glasses come in a metal case (marked '21') with what I guess is the original cleaning cloth.

They look very steam punk-ish and may be of interest to a vintage eyewear collector. Have any members come across similar items before and can they provide an idea of provenance?

Thanks very much in advance,

Rich.

IMG_3037.jpg IMG_3038.jpg IMG_3039.jpg IMG_3040.jpg IMG_3041.jpg IMG_3043.jpg IMG_3044.jpg IMG_3049.jpg IMG_3050.jpg IMG_3054.jpg IMG_3055.jpg

2. Great glasses. I have had a few. What do you want to know, you nailed it on the date

3. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

Cool! Just cool!
    Marian

4. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I assume you have found the company named on them: Morris Motors Ltd:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_Motors

Morris is one of the most famous of the British classic car manufacturers. Morris cars have been used for leisure by enthusiasts for many decades. The MG, Minor and Midget being some of the more memorable and lasting models (still used as trials cars today).
    Your glasses aren't for racing but being numbered indicates they may have been made as a limited edition gift perhaps with the purchase of a car? Upon zooming in on the bridge I actually read No. 185.

Is the cleaning cloth felt or shammy leather?

5. richardofyork86

richardofyork86 Registered Guest

Thanks all. Initially I wanted to confirm that they were driving glasses and also the era. Nice bit of automotive memorabilia, I thought the hand engraving was very interesting.

The cloth is like a thin shammy leather - cool how it has stayed with the glasses and also looks to have been (skillfully) repaired in the past.

If anyone has sold similar items in the past - are they collectible and would you recommend a forum for sale? I use eBay a lot but not quite sure that would be the right place to sell given that they are quite niche.

Thanks again for your help. I collect vintage watches and the 'what have I inherited' post is a regular on our forums (!)

Kind Regards,

Rich.