1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My First Dali Tie & The Sketch it Was Based On

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by dorotheascloset, Mar 19, 2007.

1. dorotheascloset

dorotheascloset Registered Guest

Just sharing because I think its so cool someone was able to get me the sketch the tie's artwork came from! Someone from the Fedora Lounge actually found me that artwork. And its my first Dali, so it counts as a brag. I am not sure when or where I will list, but thought you guys might like seeing this....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Apparently Dali wrote about this idea, calling it an "ARANARIUM", a sort of terrarium concept for spiders to build webs, claiming an artist needed at least 5 to line up & gaze through to achieve a "vision".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Creepy & keen! Ang

2. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

that is just amazing, Ang! It's funny, the sketch is creepier (I think) than the tie; somehow when you add color, a nice dynamic diagonal arrangement, and the sheen of silk, the unsettling settles down a bit...

Kind of like when Schiaparelli interpreted Dali's images of a nude woman with drawers coming out of her torso as a suit with lots of button-topped pocket flaps (some of them faux). The result was thought-provoking, amusing, and incredibly chic--unexpected but not shudder-inducing!

Also, I can see why you're not in a rush to list... I had a brocade silk tie, pretty but not amazingly so, but with a dated 1923 label and patent number linking it to Jesse Langford and his "Resilient Construction" method, which revolutionized the way 4-in-ties are made. I included an illustration of Langford's patented method with the listing and sold the tie to the curator of a Museum of scientific devices in California, and I've regretted letting it go ever since (even though I'm glad it at least found a good home!)

3. Hattysattic

Hattysattic VFG Secretary

That is very cool indeed! I'm with Carrie, hold on to it a little bit :)

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Super tie! Keep it awhile, at least it doesn't take up much room!!!

5. mcgrawandmcqueen

mcgrawandmcqueen Registered Guest

This is fascinating! I didn't realize the world of ties was so full of cultural and intellectual references. After this weekend, when Carrie taught me something about a tie I own and , now, seeing this one, I have come to the realization I need tie books.
    I am not sure I found the illustration creepy as much as I did humorous. The bulging eyes and drool reminded me of something from "MAD" magazine...but then I have been hanging out with teenage sons for a few years.

Thank you for sharing!!!
    -Lorinda

6. Very cool, Ang! Thanks for sharing - I'd hold on to it, too.

7. dorotheascloset

dorotheascloset Registered Guest

I don't think I'll keep it real long, spiders terrify me. I'm just really trying to determine where to list (site, ebay), store or auction if ebay & what price. Pretty tough to gauge, nothing to compare it to....the one on eBay thats sold a couple times recently appears the more common of them so I dont know what standard to compare this to.

Ack.

Ang

8. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

I think this is fantastic! I love seeing the inspirational artwork.

Lizzie