1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. I've just bought my first Ossie Clark! She needs quite a bit of work, ripped underarm seam, was taken in, some bad repairs that need redoing - plus a few moth nibbles and stains but the length is original and the (rather sheer) print is fabulous.

Here's a quick shot:
    [​IMG]

And here's one that I found on Decades site: it's not quite the same but similar enough to be from the same collection.

[​IMG]
    Image courtesy Decades.

Now to get her cleaned and restored - I don't think I'll sell her, would prefer to use her in my talks and presentations.

Has anyone seen this design or print before? Would you agree with early '70s?

Nicole

2. glamoursurf

glamoursurf Alumni

Nicole, that is gorgeous! Can't wais to see you work your magic, please show us when done.

3. Thanks Pam - I'm tempted to take some photos, you know "before" and "after", and post about it. There seems to be a bit of interest in restoration posts :camera:

N

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

It's fabulous and I would agree with early 70s! I think before & aft pics would be a great idea!

5. vivavintageclothing

vivavintageclothing VFG Member

Great dress! :drooling22: I would love to see before and after pics too!

6. joules

joules VFG Member

It's great, Nicole! I really love it, and I'm sure you will quickly whip it into great shape. Fabulous dress.

7. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Wow - congratulations! Great dress!

I have found this coat in one of my books, that partly has the same pattern fabric, just in a different color scheme. I thought I'd seen that pattern before... :eureka: According to the book, this coat is from 1971.

Karin

8. mingus107

mingus107 Registered Guest

I would sooooo wear that! Love it!

9. thanks for finding the image, Karin! It's great to be able to pin down a year, and yours has that familiar Celia Birtwell print too - so I guess that makes mine a Celia textile as well.

Nicole

10. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

Hi Nicole, well done scoring the Ossie!! hope the work to be done on it goes seamlessly ( he-he), and I cant wait to see your new website- it launches tomorrow doesnt it??

cheers,Gayle

11. It does indeed Gayle - we're just finalising stuff now. I'm looking forward to showing it all to you.

Nicole

12. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Wonderful find, Nicole! And, yes, please do show before & after pics! I'm sure your restoration will be fabulous. I really like the color on this dress.

13. :drinkingtoast: It's wonderful Nicole. Can't wait to see before and after photos. Looks like a Celia Birtwell textile as well. :sunshine:

Also very much looking forward to seeing your new website. :)

14. bycin

bycin Guest

Lovely dress. Wherever did you find it? I love the clothing's history, don't you?

15. A lady brought her into my shop and asked if I'd like to buy her - she had originally bought the dress in Europe in the early '70s. It's a very risque dress to wear because the floral is quite sheer! It's great to know the background of a garment, it makes it all come to life.
    Nicole

16. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Nicole,

It is gorgeous. Stunning colors too.

And your new hair do (I read your blog) is marvelous!

Barbara