1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My New Holiday Tradition.

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Patentleathershoes, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

My siblings and I exchange gifts with eachother over the holidays. It is never anything terribly expensive, but a lot of thought to what the person would truly want goes into it. We started doing so when we were really young, and it was usually something that we knew parents, grandparents, and other relatives would never buy for us. My family moved a lot due to my father's job, and we also moved as my brother and sister were born for houses with more bedrooms. Because of it, it sort of made us a little closer and it became our little tradition.

Some examples were candy that would turn your lips or tongue blue, really off the wall scratch and sniff stickers (remember how those in the early 80s?), items for our unusual collections, or as we got older, something where we required a size that was hard for others to get right.

As we are older, moved farther apart, it is harder to have a brilliant idea as one knows that when great minds think a like....we always end up buying something for ourselves already what the other person had in their mind. When we all lived in the same house, it was easier to keep in check.

So, now how do I express a few offbeat ideas that I an't possibly already own?

I had been using the Wish List feature at the VC-Mall ( http://www.vc-mall.com - the place to find great stuff from VFG memners) partly just to test it out, but also to keep track of the things that I liked. I decided this year to send a copy of it (you can send it to someone with your comments) and then they would surely get some good hints on what I wanted. (very specific hints).

This has solved a major need for us on alerting eachother on just the perfect thing. But unlike shopping together, the item will still be a surprise, because I won't know what was picked out unless of course I pester all the sellers, who would not tell me confidential client info anyhow :)

So, I thought I would share, just in case anyone else reading needs a way to make sure a spouse or partner, or relative who asks what you want as a holiday gift knows what is on your mind!

Chris

2. Hattysattic

Hattysattic VFG Secretary

that's a great idea chris!
    i did a similar thing on my 'about me' page on ebay.. i'd intended it to be just vintage stuff i was lookin for but ended up as a christmas list for my relatives!
    it's all stuff i really want so i don't mind if i get duplicates ;)

harriet

3. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

I didn't think about that one. then the whole internet world could see it and be inclined to get you something :P