1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My other NZ vintage find - jacket by Fashionbilt

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Midge, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I can never resist a beautiful jacket :saint:! I have so far managed to bring at least one vintage jacket home from every overseas trip I took this year :hysterical:. I found this Fashionbilt jacket in a lovely little vintage shop in downtown Christchurch (the city looks good, by the way, considering the earth quake they had just two months ago, and it's so pretty too, especially along the river - very English!).

[​IMG]
    It has quite substantial shoulder pads, a yummy color and collar that's made of a different, ribbed fabric.

[​IMG]

Take a look at those double pockets!
    [​IMG]

Karin

2. joules

joules VFG Member

Hi Karin! That was some trip; it's nice to get a first hand report, that things are relatively okay, considering that recent quake.

Love your pretty jacket, and I am a fan of this label too. Really nice tailoring, the way things used to be made, at a mid price point. In fact, I have a Fashionbilt Casuals coat in the shop at the moment:
    [​IMG]

3. Lovely! That would have followed me home too!
    I just posted a similar style in my artfire shop. I really had a hard time parting with it. These usually don't leave my closet/collection.

Enjoy!

4. Midge

I know :D. I googled Fashionbilt, and your coat came up - I remembered having seen it before on this forum.

Just considering that the quake that hit Christchurch was the same strength as the one in Haiti... the difference is just so incredible.

Karin

5. joules

joules VFG Member

Well, that is good news, that it's showing up. Thanks for letting me know, Karin.
    How will you wear your new jacket? Aren't you glad you cleared space in your wardrobe?

It is incredible really, and I suppose it all has to do with liquifaction and the underlying strata, and all sorts of scientific things that I'll never fully grasp. And the architecture, of course. Just know that they are terrifying events! Did you feel any aftershocks during your visit?

6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

That is pretty gorgeous, love these 40s jackets and the color is delish! It looks like a silk or rayon faille fabric.

7. Midge

@Joules
    My closet is still full :hysterical:. Finally took my old winter coat to the Caritas shop today, since the "new" one (the dark red 1950s one) not only looks so much better, but also is so much warmer! It was cold here when I arrived on Monday, and I still wore this jacket then on the way home from the airport, but since then the temperatures have just been going down, and the snow has come too. This morning when I went out it was -5 degrees centigrade!
    This jacket fits me well but it's not skin tight, so my bright green new hoodie from New Zealand fitted underneath it nicely for the flight home. And the colors looked pretty good together (with black jeans) :lol: . It was nice to find a jacket that's not grey or black - this opens all sorts of new possibilities! It certainly goes well with green, I also bought a flouncy flowery (new) green dress at a market, that looked pretty good with the jacket. The days were warm and already long, but the nights were quite cool, so this was just the ticket for going out in places like Queenstown.

@Mary Jane
    No idea what the material is. It's very soft and it has the slightest sheen, but that jacket all in all is relatively heavy. I don't think they used any interfacing, as in other jackets that I have - it's not so rigid.

Karin

8. joules

joules VFG Member

For some reason, (perhaps because I'm in dire need of a closet clear-out myself) I thought you'd done some reorganizing, though maybe I'd been thinking of your blog post, about shifting your summer to winter wardrobe project.

That jacket has already shown its versatility, hasn't it? I enjoy the image of it creatively layered with the hoodie, for the airplane ride. Super cute idea to pair it with green things!

Not sure if you happened upon this article, about the Kansas City Garment District Museum. There is a photo gallery accompaying it, and I believe I spy some Fashionbilt:
    http://www.kcfreepress.com/news/2010/apr/26/hidden-treasures-kc-garment-district-museum-and-hi/

9. Midge

:bouncy: You are right, I did reorganize and clean out my closet, no worries. But it's still full, to tell the truth :spin:. When I tell people that I can only wash every two weeks (communal laundry room), they usually go "I couldn't do this - I don't even have so many clothes!". Ummm... yeah, I do. No problem at all, with all the stuff I have (besides I can sneak in a wash in between if there's any need)! It's a double closet, and it's all mine. Built in. One reason why I knew this apartment was for me when I saw it.

Thanks for the link about Kansas City - sounds interesting! I had no idea... My dad had to go there a few times for work some years ago.

Karin