1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Vintage Frightful Frocks! Do you see what I see?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by heavensent-hellbent, Sep 30, 2004.

1. heavensent-hellbent

heavensent-hellbent Registered Guest

I see dead people..... hahaha just kidding.

Ok I am SO BAD with being creative about costumes. Here is what I have so far for VFF, but I'll take more ideas as these aren't getting listed till tonight:

Um. Is Suzy Wong considered UN-PC? Should I just title these as "Geishas" because .... somehow that's not as... wait YEAH IT IS. oh screw it.

i think this one is 40's, it's cotton and doesn't have such a high rise side vent like 50s-modern.

[​IMG]

this one is the satin, 50's.

[​IMG]

Well duh, go-go girl.

[​IMG]

Goth Girl? Vampira? This poor 30's gown has more issues than a NYC Magazine stand. :( Off to halloween land it goes

[​IMG]

Gunne Lace thing. Super small. I was thinking 80's Madonna? Or Cinderella style for a little girl? Fairy Princess?

[​IMG]

I always take everyone's advice and opinions to heart! Hit me! (and yes the photos are getting fixed up a bit later)

~ stacey

2. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

My aunt and uncle went to a Japanese themed party and she was a traditional geisha girl and he went with sandals, black socks, a camera around his neck...he went as an american tourist visiting Japan.

I would say "Geisha" if it were the very traditional kimono to be worn with the face make up et al, i don't think there would be anything Un-PC about that. Geishas have been around for centuries.

...but i believe a Cheongsam would be chinese and in that case Cheongsam dress would probably cover you...because it could be "Flower Drum Song" Suzy Wong, but also 50s bombshell... or didn't whats her name in the "Spiderman" movie where a sort of cheongsam looking dress? I do think the 2nd would be more traditional looking...fabric would be more what you would expect...but i honestly cannot see the fabric on the first well enough...

The last one..you could be a fairy and put wings on...an angel....etc...

Oh. i love that second one. those dresses are never the right proprotions for me but i love em anyhow!

3. alonesolo

alonesolo Guest

Found a new shop today and there were lots of vintage clothing. ( high priced but some great pieces.) Anyways there on a shelf in the orginal plastic bag and box was this red dress. ( couldn't take it out ) but it looked like a Cheonsagm, The box and bag in bold letters was named Susie Wong.

So apparently there is a brand name Susie Wong too! I would have loved to buy it but too much to spend for resale and I could never wear it myself.

4. ourbabyroo

ourbabyroo Registered Guest

Ooooh.....Chris is right! With some wings, that last one would be a very sexy angel ;)

5. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

...like one of those VS advertisement "angels"...