1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mysterious dress...

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Pam Kossek, Jan 12, 2023.

1. Pam Kossek

Pam Kossek Registered Guest

Hello
    Looking for any information on this dress
    Thank you

IMG_0587.jpg IMG_0615.jpg IMG_0610.jpg

2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

It's really lovely. I'm getting a 1960s vibe from the neckline, but not sure about the handkerchief hem.

Is it one piece, or is that a separate wrap?

I can't read the label either, is is Fontayna?

3. Pam Kossek

Pam Kossek Registered Guest

It feels very special. It is a dress that comes with the wrap. I tried Fonlayne, Fontayna, google image search... no clue!
    I hope here at vintage Fashion Guild we can solve this mystery from the past ;)

Attached Files:

4. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I think the label reads Fontayne or Fonlayne

amandainvermont likes this.
  5. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

It’s Fontayne
    She was a model turned designer
    I am heading to work but will post more tonight

6. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Yup. Fontayne. And I came across something about it some months ago...

7. Vintagiality

@Pam Kossek

Fontayne was an American fashion model turned designer. Her real name was Audrey Harriet Fountaine Goldsmith. She was born February 21, 1927.

Often when modeling, she would show up in one of her own creations and other models would swoon over her dress so she went into business. She opened her own shop in 1954 even though she flunked sewing in high school because she sewed too fast and the graduation dress she made for herself at the time was so avant-garde that it was “suspect”. She grew up in Long Island, NY and had been making her own clothes since the age of 10, her dolls were “the best dressed in the neighborhood”. When she was 12, she designed Easter hats and sold dozens. She had no formal training, used no patterns and no muslin but “attacked the fabric with scissors and took it on from there”. She sold her car for cash to buy fabrics for her first collection and within four months, a movie newsreel company voted her one of the top five designers in the US and took some of her designs to Vienna as America’s answer to French couture. She designed for Hollywood stars like Janet Leigh, Carol Burnett, Polly Bergen, Hope Hampton, Florence Henderson, and Hildegarde.

She modeled her own designs whenever her collections were shown, frequently at large hotels in New York. She married her first husband, famous Ballet Theater dancer Jack Beaber in 1952. In 1957, she made the news for turning to menswear “not professionally” designing garments for her husband who had just been in “Fanny” on Broadway. She made him sports shirts and coats with natural shoulder lines and much shorter jackets than were popular at the time. In 1959, a Top NY designers’ fashion show with over 250 fashion editors in attendance proclaimed that while the show highlighted many of the great names of American couture, young designer Fontayne’s fashion ideas were “prophetic”. She stole the show with a wedding gown made of multiple yards of sheer white wool. Each of her collections starred at least one cape, a sort of a fashion signature. She created custom clothes at ready-made clothes prices, occasionally designing for theater and television. She was the costume designer of The Doctor and the Playgirl (1963).

At a 1960 jewelry show, her lemon chiffon evening gown was the background for the $500,000 Tiffany Diamond mounted in a bib necklace and accessorized with buds of diamond leaves. The same year, she designed the ball gowns for former Miss America title holders and also the 1961 coronation cape.

She stated that she designed “for the woman who is old enough to know what it’s all about and young enough to enjoy it”. All her clothes were one of a kind and she never allowed her designs to be mass produced. Her clothes were timeless and ignored trends. She was friends with many of her clients and viewed herself as their confidante. Her East side salon had an ambiance that allowed many clients to “act out their fantasies and that freedom was worth any price”. An avid dancer, she was particularly fond of clothes that move. A choreographer once commented that “her gowns look like she’s dancing even when she’s standing still.”

She was divorced twice and once engaged to actor Chuck Conors. When not designing, she was also an interior designer. In a 1977 article, she billed herself as “New York’s last truly exclusive couturier” and modeled her designs for charity into the 80s.

UPDATE: She died on 11/11/2006

Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
  8. Vintagiality

@lkranieri I could not find for the life of me the exact year she stopped designing or anything really past 1986. Any chance you could look?

Vinclothes likes this.
  9. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Thank you for asking. I will see what I can find.

Vintagiality likes this.
  10. Vintagiality

Oh I found her obit! She died on 11/13/2006.
    Still can’t tell when she stopped designing though

Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
    lkranieri likes this.
  11. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Congratulations on the find. Under what name was her obit?

12. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Never mind...I just found it, too. Still digging.

Vintagiality likes this.
  13. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I am sorry to be slow to reply, but I spent quite a bit of time looking into every research resource of which I am aware and trying the searches with several variations on the search terms. One of the biggest issues I had with this search was the number of iterations of the subject's name. I found her under:

--Fontayne
    -- Fontayne Schlanger
    -- Audrey Schlanger
    -- Audrey Fontayne
    -- Audrey Harriett Goldsmith
    -- Audrey Harriet Fontaine Goldsmith

So, in each resource/database I searched for each iteration of her name...and this is just my excuse and apology for this tardy reply.

The next apology is for the fact that I never found a definitive answer for you. In fact, though, rarely do I see a definitive date for the end of a designer's career; they just seem to fade away. The latest date I found for Fontayne's designing career--other than with her death in 2006--was in a 1989 article that mentioned "...Charles Schlanger, a retired banker, and Fontayne, a clothes designer who uses only one name." So, as it doesn't say Fontayne was a former or retired clothes designer, I think we can assume she was still designing clothes until at least 1989. Sorry I couldn't get a definitive answer for you.

Vintagiality likes this.
  14. Vintagiality

Thank you so much for looking Lynne!

Same! Even finding her real name took me forever because she was referred to as Fontayne everywhere, and interestingly as “fon Tayne” separately in some of the earlier articles of her career

I thought she may have continued to design past 1989 because she was only 62 at the time but of course I couldn’t find anything suggesting that and for someone who had a fair amount of press coverage before that, it seemed odd that she simply disappeared from the fashion scene. I wasn’t familiar with the earlier Hollywood stars she designed for but I did see that she designed something for Jamie Lee Curtis and that was one of the last ones

Did you ever see an address for her salon?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
  15. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I saw fon Tayne, too, but since that spelling wouldn't produce any results that differed from Fontayne, I ignored it.

I tried searching business directories for Fontayne, but with the size of NYC and not knowing where she might have been selling there, it was a bit overwhelming. That, however, is likely the best resource to indicate from where she was selling and when. I would need a loooooog uninterrupted time to do that.

Vintagiality likes this.
  16. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Perhaps her studio/store/salon was at this Hackensack address (in 1974)...
    FontayneInHackensack1974.jpg

Vintagiality likes this.
  17. Vintagiality

Articles did refer to the “East side” salon so I assumed NYC but I guess it’s possible

18. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Nope, I just found a 1975 article about Fontayne, which mentioned her "East Side (couture) salon."

Vintagiality likes this.
  19. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Cross posted...

Vintagiality likes this.
  20. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

...but then I found a 1977 article that states: "...(her) clothes are so exclusive they can only be seen by appointment at her Park Avenue brownstone in New York."

Vintagiality likes this.