1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mysterious fabric straps inside vintage coats

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Pam Simmons, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Pam Simmons

Pam Simmons Registered Guest

I have several very old vintage coats which both have two short straps sewn into a seam in the back lining. The straps are short--about 7"---and are both made of the same fabric as the lining. They are stitched side by side into one of the back seams on both coats.

I can't find anything in either coat that these fabric pieces seem to be meant to tie to. Does anyone have any ideas what these are for?

2. Could you post some photos? It may be easier to visualize that way.

3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

They sound like the straps that are used to wear the coat over your shoulders - instead of putting your arms in the sleeves you put your arms through the straps and wear the coat more like a cape.

4. I agree with Jonathan: that's their usual purpose. If you can post pics we can confirm it or suggest other ideas.

5. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

That was also one of my first thoughts, but the way you describe the placement, Pam, I'm really uncertain.

Can you post a couple of photos?

6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I know some coats had inner ties to just hold the coat shut closer to the body, but these were not usually on a back seam, they were usually on the side seams.

7. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I agree that if you can post some pictures it would help.

My thought is that the straps are for storing gloves or a scarf. The side by side placement wouldn't allow the coat to be worn as a cape.

Linn

8. Pam Simmons

Hi there! Sorry it too me so long to get back to this. I am busy moving my mother to a retirement home near me. It seems like I lost the last few months of my life!

I applied for membership several months ago, but never heard back so I can not post the photos that you all requested concerning these mysterious fabric strips.
    I actually now have 4 very old capes and coats with these two mysterious fabric ties on a back side seam. They are always sewn together and are usually about 7 inches long. My first thought was that they could be used to snug the waist tighter, but they are just too short.

I hope someone looks up my membership application as it might be lost. My Etsy store is actually a little depleted right now as many of my 1920s- 1940s items recently sold. I have about 50 new items that I am now preparing to post. Many of them are from the 1800s through the 1950s including a bottle green silk velvet ladies jacket with bell sleeves, deep peplum, fine silk lining, and wide Chinchilla fur collar. It is pre-1900, but I have not had time to locate the exact date yet. Also several fine 1920s beaded silk jackets, flapper dresses, 1930s sequin crepe blouses, etc.

Your forum expressed great interest earlier in a wonderful 1950s heavy tweed two-piece dress by Tarquin Ebker. I posted several photos to find more information on the designer, but was chastised as I was not a member yet. I have the dress's label ready to send for your collection, but am awaiting my membership information.

I have sold more than 300 vintage pieces collected from Boulder, Denver and Colorado communities over the past 30 years. I would love to share them with you. I sell on Etsy.com. I do not want the headache of running my own online store so I prefer using Etsy. I am in the process of updating my older photos and added the label photos that you require for membership. I clearly state in my store policies though that I am happy to send label photos to any potential customer until I can complete these photo updates.

I would appreciate any help you can give me with my membership application. I'd love to send you more photos of my better collection pieces!
    Pam

9. pinky-a-gogo

pinky-a-gogo VFG Member VFG Past President

Hi Pam--you do not need to be a trade member in order to post pictures here.
    We welcome pictures from anyone who has a question on an item.

If you look up your old threads using the search button, you will see that members are asking and trying to help aid you in posting photos. Nobody chastised you. A member did point out that posting links to your selling site was against the forum rules but did try to show you how to post photos here.

I think you misunderstood.

You should contact the membership committee directly about your application. You can use this link here: http://vintagefashionguild.org/membership

It is very rare that an application gets lost. I would use the link to see what happened.

They will get back to you asap!

Tiffany

10. Pam Simmons

Thank you Tiffany! Perhaps chastised was the wrong word,but I did get the very strong feeling that I had made a terrible mistake. I was told the the mistake was noted on my permanent history. I don't know who handled me that day.

I offered my help to that person as I have a PhD in PR with an emphasis on technical communications. I use to handle PR for several corporations and a trade union before my recent retirement. I love the Forum and would like to help in any way I can! I made some suggestions that I thought might be useful. I even typed up a suggested paragraph that could be used as part of a collection of responses. Companies use these collections for common email questions and problems. They avoid miscommunications and guarantee the organization's brand image is always clear. I offered my help in developing more of these, but she didn't respond to that offer. The person did take the negative mark off my record though. That entire conversation does not appear any where in my history now, but the entire affair did leave me hesitant about future postings.
    Thank you for your help. I will contact the committee about my application!
    All the best--
    Pam