1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Is anyone familiar with this label? I am having a hard time determining what it reads. It’s from a 30s wedding gown.
    76D30FF4-5A48-4558-8CA3-478ABBA41248.jpeg
    Thanks
    Victoria

2. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Can you pull the label so the crease in the middle is gone, then take a photo? I assume the first line says "Madame," but it looks like "Madare" so I am guessing the label is creased and hiding some of the letter(s).

Robin of Frocksley likes this.
  3. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

4. Vintagiality

Thank you, Lynne. I do not own the dress so unfortunately I can’t take another picture but you are probably right that it’s Madame. The owner of the dress thinks it’s Zafel but I couldn’t find anything under that name either.

5. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

6. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

...and I don't read French, but this is from a 1981 Montreal newspaper -- and I am guessing it indicates her real name was Zabelle, if it is the same person:
    MadameZabelMatrimonyCourt.jpg

Robin of Frocksley likes this.
  7. Vintagiality

8. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

I speak French, or thought I did! I think this is announcing a "request" for a divorce (separation?) and division of property. Something along that line and interesting it is going to the Superior Court - and 1981 ....... Someone will come along who is fluent and gets the legalese.

9. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Amanda, I put the text into Google's translator and it didn't have any useful -- or clear -- information. I also realized if Madame Zabel was working in the 1920's she wasn't likely getting married or divorced in 1981.

Since then I have been chasing down another possibility about Madame Zabel and that is that her FIRST name might be Zabel. Zabel is apparently an Armenian name and thus far I found a Zabel Munushian in California at the same time period, who was married to George Munushian, a tailor with Manushian Bros. it would make sense that Madame Zabel would use her easier first name if her last name might be frequently misspelled -- and that she might be married to someone associated with a tailoring firm.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  10. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

It translates to notice for application for approval of new matrimonial agreements.

What I can tell you is that this is a very wealthy address!!! It is located at the top of the mountain in Westmount in the Montreal area, right around where there is a lookout where you can see for miles around!!!

11. Vintagiality

Well I lost the bid on the wedding dress but I sure learned a lot here as always!

Thank you all!

12. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Fascinating!!!