1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mystery Quilted Spread 1928

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by dougmac86, Jul 8, 2018.

1. dougmac86

dougmac86 Registered Guest

Greetings,

I found this among my grandmother's effects and was wondering if anyone can tell me if something like this is especially valuable, or just something to see what it goes for on eBay.

The tag sewn to it looks handmade. It says "Appliquéd by Helen. M. Graham 1928"

There's a note safety pinned to the back. It says, "Pink, green + white appliqué (mountain mist pattern) size 82 x 94. Quilted by professional quilter. Appliqué work done my Mrs. Graham (1928)."

I'm pretty sure it's cotton and in pretty good shape with no stains or tears that I can see.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks,

Doug
    Spread1.jpg Spread2CU.jpg Spread3CU.jpg Spread4CU.jpg SpreadBack1.jpg SpreadBackCU2.jpg Spread1.jpg Spread2CU.jpg Spread3CU.jpg Spread4CU.jpg SpreadBack1.jpg SpreadBackCU2.jpg

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

That is lovely. This would certainly have some value to it. They look like poppy flowers to me and it has a very arts and crafts style to it.

3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

GREAT to have a maker and date, and its also a very pretty quilt.

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I don't know if the Shelburne Museum in Vermont buys quilts but I do know they have an amazing collection of them.
    Perhaps you could get in touch with them.

5. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

That IS a special find. To know both of the makers (both quilter and embroiderer), the date and the name of the pattern is a big plus. The colors are pleasing and the pattern is wonderful also, not a typical one. I agree the flowers remind me of poppies, and I do see elements of both Art Nouveau and Arts and Crafts, even though it was 1928. Glendale had some fine Craftsman bungalow homes at that time. To me, the fact that it is made in California in the 1920s and has poppies (a favorite with many collectors here) adds a great deal to its interest to collectors. Textiles with an A & C flair from California tend to do very well, usually selling to someone with a Craftsman home right here in So Cal.

It appears to be in very good condition as well. I can see this doing very well at an auction, especially with that bold pattern, but I would set a reserve if it were mine. But If it were mine I would keep it! If you can be patient before selling it, my suggestion would be to seek out 1 or 2 auction houses that specialize in quilts.

Really super!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  6. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

So Nice. Skinner Auctions comes to mind. But I would keep it! And yes, definitely stylized poppies.