1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. blubirdboutique

blubirdboutique Registered Guest

Hello all :)

I found this interesting skirt the other day - the original label has been removed so I thought I would see if any of you had any thoughts.

I'm really not sure about the dating of it or the designer - however! - there are a few clues.

Cotton fabric, the print reads "J'ai seul la clef de cette parade sauvage" which translates to "Only I have the key to this parade, to this savage parade" (original poem by French poet Britten) Then it reads ""Leger" Perhaps Hervé Léger?

Am I reading way into this? :D (I love, love, love the research part of vintage clothing!)

The dress has a side metal zipper (maker is Serval), white plastic button closure, a single pocket on the opposite side, and belt loops.

Any thoughts? :)

2. blubirdboutique

Side view of zipper:

3. blubirdboutique

and stitching on bottom hem:

4. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

It looks very '50's to me. I just did a mini search and Hervé Léger was '80's - so unless it's '80's doing '50's he is probably not the designer. I love it, BTW.

Linn

5. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

Totally 50's! Love it!

I'm with Linn -- not THAT Leger!

Market as Novelty print -- and let me know when you list it :wub:

6. yanne65

yanne65 Alumni

Hello,

"Leger" can also mean "lightweight" in French, so maybe it does not refer to the actual designer, but to the fabric or to life in general being carefree or something?

Jannemieke

7. blubirdboutique

Thank you everyone! :) Yeah, it's a far cry from the Leger bandage dresses, but I thought maybe? :D hehe. I was wondering if "Leger" did mean anything else, too. Neat. Elsewhere, I will let you know! :) Right now I'm on ebay (blubirdboutique), but the fees, they kill me! Trying to gradually move over to Etsy...

8. bycin

bycin Guest

LOVE this one!!

9. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Lovely skirt.

I think I bought a dress from you on ebay once, blubird. A 50s/early 60s navy with big white spots wiggle. It's one of my favourites!

10. Retro Ruth

There is also a cubist painter Fernand Leger, died in 1955. I can't see the print well enought to be sure but it could be that it is referencing some of his images, he did use typography. I haven't found anything referring to that particular quote though.

This is one of his from 1919:

11. Retro Ruth

Oh! just found out Leger did a number of paintings, drawings and print called the Parade or the Great Parade. This might be completely barking up the wrong tree, but its enough of a link to be worth investigating perhaps. There was a Leger retrospective in 1955 at MoMA.

"Leger's greatest painting is The Great Parade (1954) at the Guggenheim. The "great parade" is traditionally the procession through town of acrobats, clowns, dancers and riders that announces the arrival of the circus. The circus and its performers are standard fare for French artists and many have immortalized the images, including Daumier, Seurat, Rouault and of course we must not forget Picasso's Saltimbaques. Leger's sketches for Great Parade go back to 1919. They were recast many times until Leger was satisfied."

This is one of the Parade pcitures

12. Linn

It's hard to see the pattern on the skirt but I think Golden Age had found the correct Léger. The first image from 1919 looks like it might be similar to the image on the skirt. Perhaps it has something to do with the Paris retrospective at MOMA in 1955. It's definitley a great skirt.

What size is the waist?

Linn

13. Retro Ruth

14. Linn

Great sleuthing, Ruth!

Linn

15. Retro Ruth

16. Retro Ruth

Okay so I have to admit to getting obsessed here! I couldn't resist posting more information.

I was trying to find more about the Fuller Fabrics Modern Masters series, when I found this article about the fabrics, from 1955 Life Magazine, showing Leger in his studio with a model wearing a Claire McCardell dress in 'his' fabric.

Sorry if this is a little off topic, as I imagine this skirt isn't necessarily made from one of the Fuller Fabrics - they all seem to be multicoloured - but it is presumably inspired by those prints.

Okay, time for bed.

17. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

Is there a selvedge that you can check to see if this has the fabric printer's name? Super skirt.

18. Amazing work, and what a great skirt. Cant wait for the next episode!

19. blubirdboutique

Wow, GoldenAge! You have elite research skills! *bows to you* :D Thank you for all the excellent info! I LOVE those dresses inspired by the artists. How beautiful are they? *swoon* So inspiring. The print on the skirt is definitely based on Fernand Leger's "illustration for Rimbaud poem" in 1948. How cool! Now that I think about it, I admired a print (it was on foam board I believe) by Leger at the same store. How odd!

Anyway, this has been fun and educational, thank you everyone!

Oh, Linn - the waist is around 26 inches :)

20. blubirdboutique

Oh, also, GoldenAge - I don't remember the dress but it sounds really cute hehe :D