1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Name & age for this style of dress/underskirt

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Grover Street Girl, Sep 11, 2021.

1. Grover Street Girl

Grover Street Girl Registered Guest

Hello!
    I feel like I’ve seen this style before, maybe in a Mary Pickford movie. But I can’t really find any examples of something similar. I’m thinking 1910-1918?
    It’s a very girlish design, made of cotton gingham and with amazing detail.
    -It is 2 pieces, a dress and a muslin skirt, bordered in the dress fabric.
    -A square yoke panel that snaps in place.
    -An organdy collar that follows the yoke line
    -Set in sleeves with piping and applique trim
    -Raised waistline
    -Skirt Gathered with tiny pleats
    -Wide Organdy border on dress’ skirt

All in all, it has 17 embroidered Appliques, including one on each end of the very long sash, which is shown wrapped twice at the waist. It may have another purpose?

*Also, the gingham on the underskirt is a slightly different color or dye lot than the dress. Was it made later?

Thanks for any help on style or design name, and age range! 7E84CB62-4265-4717-BAF9-C6B536691A1F.jpeg 4C2B2405-9A45-4EFF-A9F6-0CDF866137E7.jpeg B8121FB3-3898-47D8-A5F9-3BFEFFC77232.jpeg C9477B2B-7FA3-4A5A-A429-FC226D87C558.jpeg
    Thanks, Ronda

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Hello,

That is a wonderful garment. SO cute! And yes, very "Mary Pickford'! I would place it 1914 -1915.

The bottom skirt was probably not washed as much as the top, so it has retained more of the original color. That's my guess.

3. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

You gave a good description. Thank you. That bodice construction is so 1910's. Also the tiered skirt.
    Marian

Grover Street Girl and GemGem like this.
  4. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

I was thinking 1910's-20's, so glad I'm not too far off! It is a beautiful dress set, great find!

Grover Street Girl likes this.
  5. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

1918 on the nose. I bet she also could have worn just the top part of the dress by itself in 1921/22 when skirts were shorter. Here's a pic of a similar style by Syd Chaplin, Charlie's brother who made dresses under the Sassy Jane Manufacturing Co., and who also supplied dresses to Mary Pickford.
    p1918 spring Syd Chaplin, Sassy Jane manufacturing.JPG

6. Grover Street Girl

Oh, my gosh! Wonderful photo, and marvelous info about Syd Chaplin! Thanks so much!

GemGem likes this.
  7. Grover Street Girl

Thanks! I appreciate your input!

GemGem likes this.