1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Name for 1860s - 1870s Ceremonial Vest Worn Over Suit Coat?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by tabby, Dec 26, 2020.

1. tabby

tabby Registered Guest

I was wondering if there was a term to describe the flowered clothing item in the image below?

This is Carte de visite image taken by a photographer who was active from 1866 to 1887 in Manchester, New Hampshire.

It was more likely taken in the 1860s or 1870s due the fad of exchanging Carte de visite images during that time frame.

As far as I can tell, it appears to some type of cememonial vest being worn over the suit jacket as opposed to underneath it. The vest closure may have been left partially open , but secured with several decorative vest chains.

[​IMG]

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  2. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I checked Collars, Stocks,Cravats and the closest combination for that cravat and collar combination I saw was in 1875 - 77. I was also going to suggest a fraternal order collar or stole. As it doesn't appear to go under the arms, it's not actually a vest, even with the front chain closures.

Neat photo.