1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Nanette Flexibles" Mystery Shoes - Need Help Dating

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by TranscendTime, Mar 30, 2010.

1. TranscendTime

TranscendTime Registered Guest

\"Nanette Flexibles\" Mystery Shoes - Need Help Dating

These cream shoes from "Nanette Flexibles" are bugging the heck out of me. While they must be related to "Nanette Originals", info online is non-existent. Their near-perfect condition is throwing me off, they look like they've hardly been worn. Any ideas as to a date? Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Late 1960s

3. missproper

missproper Alumni

Those are really cute!

4. Agree with late '60s. I think they look brand new and perhaps nurses shoes? The buttons are very similar to those found on nurses uniforms of the '50s.

Nicole

5. They are cute! Lovely condition too. 60's vote for me too! :sunshine:

6. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Those are adorable, and I agree w/everybody's dating on them.

What size are they?

7. wire9vintage

wire9vintage Registered Guest

My first thought on seeing them was "square dancing shoes." Their color, heel, styling. If you look at any square dancing Web site, you'll see shoes that look very similar to those.

But those, I must say, are really cute!

8. TranscendTime

TranscendTime Registered Guest

Wow. Thanks so much guys, I'm glad to have finally found a place where other knowledgeable vintage connoisseur.

Nursing shoes.. that's a very interesting thought, and I totally see it, especially due to the "Nanette Flexibles" instead of their parent brand "Nanette Originals".. probably marketing to women who were on their feet all day. I have an aunt who was a nurse back in that time period, maybe she would be able to help verify such a notion.

As for the size, I'm guessing their about a 7. But still need to have a friend with non-baby feet try them on to confirm (I'm a mere 5).

Thanks again, everyone :)

9. MyVintageCocktail

I really don't think these would be nursing shoes. My mom was a nurse, and as far back as I can remember (that would be going back to the 50s), she and her nurse friends wore some sort of rubber or composition soles. Hospital floors were old-fashioned linoleum that had to be waxed; smooth soles like those on your shoes would be a disaster waiting to happen. You could not be running down the hall to answer a patient bell, or into the emergency room in these. The soles of nursing shoes have changed over the decades, of course, but once materials with traction were used in shoes, I doubt you'd see these types of soles in nurse's shoes.

I think they are just really cute mod Twiggy-type summer shoes. They look rather "Carnaby Street" to me.

10. Leisa

Leisa VFG Member

Those are adorable & I agree with Anne on the "Carnaby Street" look.

Transcend Time - Here's my shoe size table. You can check the measurements against.

[​IMG]

11. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

I think the thought of nurse shoes is just because they are white. They don't look utilitarian enough for that and solid enough. And they aren't Character-y enough if that makes any sense for square dancing shoes. I am guessing they were just a interesting variation on a Mary Jane and were just a cute shoe for walking around in. I agree with Anne. Very cute - i'd wear those in a second.

12. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

I would have worn those with patterned white tights in college in the 60s, they are really cute!

13. MyVintageCocktail

Yes, they would be great with tights or textured opaque pantyhose!

14. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member