1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Narrowing down date on cloak

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by blubirdboutique, Jun 15, 2019.

1. blubirdboutique

blubirdboutique Registered Guest

Hello all. I am trying to learn more about this style of cloak. I am pretty sure it's Edwardian, but am interested in narrowing it down some to a year. I would also love to hear about the style and how it fits within that year. Was it wedding related? Any designer influences you can see? It's a buttery soft silk charmeuse with scrolling embroidery. One pocket inside. Silk braided tassels. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

cloak3.jpg cloak4.jpg cloakmain.jpg

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I can't really see the details, but it could be Edwardian. If it is then mid Edwardian (1905-1909ish)

3. blubirdboutique

blubirdboutique Registered Guest

Thanks Jonathan! Trying to learn more about this era. Do you know if this would be worn on a special occasion such as a wedding? Worn over some kind of gown? I also think about the socioeconomic background to pieces like this. I am guessing it was probably owned by someone who could afford such luxurious fabric? Would this style only be worn by upper class or was there similar styles that filtered down into lower income brackets? I think even today this would be out of the price range of many people. Thoughts? I need to pick up a few more books on this time period. Thank you!