1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help dating a piano shawl?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by petra, Jun 19, 2017.

1. petra

petra Registered Guest

Hi!
    I thrifted this wonderful velvet piano shawl today but I am uncertain about its age.
    It is has a square big shape and long silky threads. Please see pictures.

Many many thanks!!!

Petra

IMG_2445.JPG IMG_2446.JPG IMG_2450 2.JPG IMG_2452.JPG IMG_2453.JPG IMG_2445.JPG IMG_2446.JPG IMG_2450 2.JPG IMG_2452.JPG IMG_2453.JPG

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

That is a beautiful pattern and great colors. Hard to say for sure when it dates from without handling it. Can you determine what the fiber is? Knowing that would be helpful. It appears to be a screen or roller printed fabric, not a woven in design. The pattern and those poppies are very Art Nouveau, which might date it to the early 20th century, although it could be a revival piece from the 1970s or even a contemporary revival.

From your photos, it appears to be too small to be considered a piano shawl. What are the measurements?

I really like it!

3. petra

petra Registered Guest

Hi Barbara!
    Thank you so much for your reply and info :)

I would say its velvet and that the fringes are silk. Its not woven, its printed.

The measurements without fringe is 97 cm x 97 cm (38 x 38 inches) The fringe is 50 cm long (19.7 inches)

I enclose some more pics that maybe give a better view of the fabric. The backside is a bit yellowish. Some of the fringes has a very vibrant pink.

Many thanks once again!

Kind regards from Sweden.

Petra
    colour. IMG_2453.JPG IMG_2456.JPG IMG_2459.JPG IMG_2460.JPG IMG_2461.JPG IMG_2463.JPG IMG_2464.JPG

4. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Pretty shawl, nice photos.

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I love this print, as you can tell by my name!

foofoogal likes this.
  6. petra

petra Registered Guest

Thank you so much!
    Any ideas of its age?

:)

7. petra

petra Registered Guest

Yes ofcourse ;-)
    Its really beautiful!
    Do you have any suggestions how old it may be?

Many thanks!

Petra

8. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

This one is difficult to date without handling. My initial reaction was 1920s, but I really can't be certain.

9. Yes lovely shawl. As Barbara mentioned, it would be helpful to know the fiber. Velvet is a weave: it could be silk, rayon or synthetic. If you know the fiber that will help date it.

10. petra

petra Registered Guest

Hi again!

I belive the fiber is silk :)

11. petra

petra Registered Guest

Hi!

Thank you so much for your reply!
    I believe its silk. def not synthetic :)

Kind regards from Sweden
    Petra

12. Thanks Petra. I'm getting a more modern feel for this one but photos are so limited. If I could feel it, I'm sure I could tell but on the available evidence I'm inclined towards '70s revival.

13. I too am seeing 70s era. Only because I made a similar patterned shawl/stole for myself out of velvet that appears to be the same texture and design.
    But as others have said, without actually seeing it, it is hard to tell.

14. petra

petra Registered Guest

Thank you! I also get a 70s feel from it now!

15. petra

petra Registered Guest

Thank you! I believe its from the 70s!