1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help dating a vintage burberry skirt via label & buckles

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Passionvintage, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Passionvintage

Passionvintage Registered Guest

Hi Can anyone help me with giving me an idea on how old the skirt is. I tried referring to the article on the site on Burberry labels, but the pic of this one is not there. In fact there are a lot of labels missing in the article.

Also wanted to know, the new burberry skirts wrap from right to left, but vintage ones wrap from left to right too. This should possibly help with the dating of the period right since the pic here it wraps from right to left.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attached Files:

• BB1.jpg
      BB1.jpg
      File size:
      68.7 KB
      Views:
    • BB2.jpg
      BB2.jpg
      File size:
      43.6 KB
      Views:
    • BB3.jpg
      BB3.jpg
      File size:
      70.6 KB
      Views:
    • BB4.jpg
      BB4.jpg
      File size:
      68.4 KB
      Views:
    • BB5.jpg
      BB5.jpg
      File size:
      68.4 KB
      Views:
  2. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I think it's not vintage but fairly contemporary... late 2000s at the earliest?

3. Burberry’s dropped the “s” in about 1998; so it is at least 20 years old.

Men wear kilts too; so perhaps the ones that buckle up on the right are men’s.

4. Passionvintage

Passionvintage Registered Guest

thanks so much ... that would make sense but its like a 26 waist and 18 inches length ... that would be very short on a man i think .... ha ha ha ha ... kidding but you know ...

5. Ha ha - yup, way too small for a guy.

6. Zorica Zrnic

Zorica Zrnic Registered Guest

Yes they were making their classic coat lining in other garments in the 1980s at least. The casual subculture developed then and seized on anything that used it; as just prior to this the Sloane Rangers had. Burberrys plural is a giveaway it has to be older than late 90s as Deborah says. These kilts were worn in this style by girl punks who in turn had appropriated the red tratan ones from the late 60s, and they became fashionable early 80s mainstream as a result. They were again popular mid 90s, and again fairly recently. Certainly by 2000 ish Burberry were making them but likely beforehand. So I would say likely 80s or late 90s.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    themerchantsofvintage likes this.
  7. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I keep looking at this and want to say earlier but that blue label is throwing me.

8. The blue content label I’ve seen / had in 80s and 90s Burberry’s. With that many languages on the label though I would date it to 90s.