1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help dating and info on the shirt and tag

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Emily R, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Emily R

Emily R Registered Guest

I cannot find any tags for the Kahala brand that look like this. Its a drapey soft rayon shirt with a loop collar and coconut buttons. Anyone know anythign about this?

Attached Files:

2. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

What a great looking print! There is a similar red Kahala label in "The Aloha Shirt" book, but perhaps @Linn can point you in the right direction.

3. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I wasn't able to find anything about this label. The red label in "The Aloha Shirt" book is identical with the addition of made for "Andrade" at the bottom. Andrade had something like 16 stores throughout the Islands. The last one closed in 2002. (Thank you Google - but I do remember the Ala Moana Store.)

The shirt looks older to me than the label. The label looks more modern than a '40's rayon shirt would have - maybe it's '70's but that's just a guess. Is Dale Hope still a member, here? He'd probably know!!!!

4. YsabelVintageOnline

YsabelVintageOnline Registered Guest

Linn,

An aside ~ did you live in Hawai'i too? I was there late '70's-early '90's & have read "The Aloha Shirt" by Dale Hope, and of course love them too. The shirt above is unusual with its long sleeves. Looks '70's to me with the pointy lapels. I don't remember ever seeing anyone wearing anything like it, although I do have a long sleeved cotton shirt in my collection. Could happen, yah? :)

5. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Yes, I do live in Hawaii and have been here since the early '70's. I don't remember anyone wearing long sleeved Aloha shirts, either, and agree the shirt does look like it's from the '70's - a '70's does '40's - sort of! Maybe it's early '70's before care labels were required to be permanently affixed.

Emily, are there any other labels in the shirt - perhaps in the side seams?

6. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

Thank you for helping with this Linn. I don't believe Dale Hope is a member currently, however, the print on this shirt is wonderful!

7. Emily R

Emily R Registered Guest

Hi there! Thanks for the help. Sorry I am just responding. There are no other labels or tags inside.

8. Emily R

Emily R Registered Guest

I found a similar shirt with a similar tag on Ebay that said 40s/50s and I am wondering if its that old. It just doesnt seem that old to me so I am kind of confused

9. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Nice shirt. Is the rayon a rayon challis with a soft finish? Or is it that old style "cool" or "cold" rayon with a coolness to the touch and more slinky feel and slinky drape? Can you show the cuffs in close up, front and back?

I get a sense this is 70s or newer. But it sure the the 40s 50s look and is a great shirt.