1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help dating cotton shirtwaist day dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Andrii, Jul 31, 2022.

1. Andrii

Andrii Registered Guest

Hi, what do you think about this one? It is a handmade dress, no tags. Has that laid down "cuban" collar, printed ditsy patchwork pattern. There's no surged seams on this dress. Even on the buttonholes. I'm no expert on sewing but it looks like a kind of french seam to me maybe. I always have a hard time to tell if its 40s-50s or "80s does...". But this one seem quite old to me and 80s usually do not. What's your guess on dating this one?

Attached Files:

2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

3. Andrii

Andrii Registered Guest

Thank you for your input Maggie. It definitely looks like 50s style. Thanks for the info on buttonholes as well, much appreciated!

denisebrain likes this.
  4. With the fabric, big round plastic buttons and top-stitched details, I see early to mid '70s inspired by the '40s.

I'd expect a '50s dress to have a full and longer skirt, and more fabric in the bodice too. The bound buttonholes are a lovely, well-crafted style element.

5. Andrii

Andrii Registered Guest

Thank you all for the replies. 70s does 40s suggestion make sense to me. The skirt is indeed shorter and more in the 40s style