1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help dating Dior 2 piece set

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Olivia Gunther, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Olivia Gunther

Olivia Gunther Registered Guest

Hi all,

I'm new here and need assistance dating this Christian Dior two piece suit coat/skirt set. It's light pink with white beaded/sequin detail. The suit coat has four buttons, and the tag seems to be most similar to the 1950s, as referenced from the Dior label resource on this site. I'm not sure what the "89/20I" means, so if somebody knows, I'm quite curious about that. The back of the tag seems to have a handwritten listing of the different fabric materials, too. I've attached some pictures of the clothing, as well as close ups on the front and back of the tag.

Any information about these items would be greatly appreciated! I'm very new to the vintage couture world, so thank you in advance. :)

IMG_1230.jpg IMG_1231.jpg IMG_1232.jpg IMG_1233.jpg IMG_1234.jpg IMG_1235.jpg

2. The skirt suit appears to be late '50s in construction and style but I'm thrown by the label that seems to be suggesting polyester content, which was not used under that name until the '60s. As well, the percentages of fibres weren't used until later either. I would be cautious about the label, also because it's not centred on the seam. I wonder if it's found its way here from another garment. The beaded fabric is also unusual for '50s, suggesting maybe a '60s or more modern date.

Hopefully Claire or someone more knowledgeable about this particular label will pop by.

3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

The length of the skirt appears to be above the knee. The style is conservative but it looks mid-late 60s to me, typical of a lot of what Marc Bohan is turning out for Dior at the time. Maybe 1967ish?